Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

View Poll Results: Is Michigan a Pro Gun state?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Pro Gun.

29 25.00%
  • No. Rules, regulations and registration will only get worse.

45 38.79%
  • Yes. We lost our way, but we are taking it back.

42 36.21%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    I would say it is Pro Gun. Hunting is definitely a big deal so when I was a kid I grew up around guns like many of my friends and it was no big deal. The further North you go the hunting culture becomes even more evident. When we were kids my cousins who lived near West Branch would have their schools closed on opening day of deer season every year because so many people would go hunting with their Dad. I have a cottage up in Grayling and there is a private range that I use for target shooting. I kid you not, 50 yards from the range is Preschool and Day Care Center. It is no big deal to them.

As for everything outside of hunting I look at it this way. I have every firearm I currently want. You can get an NFA item if you want one. There are plenty of retailers that carry a good inventory. There isn't a waiting period or mag restrictions. The couple of times I have been pulled over and showed my CPL it was a non-issue. We have over 500,000 CPL holders in the State.

Are there States that have fewer laws, yes. There are also States that have an assault weapons ban, mag capacity limits, and "may issue" CPLs. One other thing to think about is this. States like Colorado were conservative and pro gun back in the day. Then there was the influx of Liberals from California moving to Denver and they started changing the laws. Pro Gun cities like Austin and Nashville are getting tons of anti-gun Millennials moving there and they vote. The one thing about Michigan is most of the people you meet here were born and raised here their entire life. The people you meet on this board like myself are willing to fight for our rights and wont give them up easily. Put all of that together and I say we are a Pro Gun State.

I am a Forum User
    The problem is there is no coherent legislative approach. Seems every law interacts with another making apparent contradictions. Just kind of a hodge-podge. Some of it to our benefit, some not so much. The pistol registration just needs to go away.

Part of the issue is the dichotomy between the unions and politics. Generally the unions are pro democrat, but the union members are often quite conservative. I think we saw this with the 2016 election. Had the union membership stayed in line, Hilary would've won the state. So despite general pro-gun opinion, we get some silly legislation.

I voted pro gun on my own poll. If it wasn’t I would even consider staying. I stay for the Northwoods, boating and the beaches. The very fact that you can buy an AR here is a plus, add their popularity.
    Hell, I’m not an AR guy and I got two. Thank you Michiganders, you are a bad influence on me.

The problem here, there and everywhere is big liberal money get into politics and buys influence. And I know it’s cliche, but when they say they don’t want to “take your guns”, what they are really saying is “they want to take your guns”. And the people taking yours, are planning on keeping theirs.

On the note of registration, I don’t know if anyone caught California AG Becerra presser yesterday. They are using long gun registration to back trace to “prohibited persons”, I believed he said including people who may have let there registration lapse (his words). I wasn’t sure if that was the guns or the people. Either way, they went in and took them while using that as a basis to search for more. I’ve seen some *****s in my time, and he is a cactus. He had a nice display of scary looking guns including bolt action guns on scary looking bipods.
    Registration serves one purpose, the eventual confiscation.
    Last edited by CyborgWarrior; 03-14-2018 at 06:04 AM.

I am a Forum User
    I say middle of road, could be better, could be worse. I think after this next election things will change. For better or worse depends on how stupid the MI voting base is. From past records its a 50/50 shot sometimes...

This'll probably piss some people off, and those who do get mad, are the ones I'm talking about.
    Michigan is full of Fudds. Their give a damn meter only registers on hunting rifles and could care less about all other firearms. I'm around them all the time. "I'm a duck hunter, so have 20 different shotguns. I don't see a need for an AR15". "Got my trusty Remmy 700 30-06. Only gun I need. Could care less if they make all them M16s and stuff illegal".
    So is MI pro gun? Maybe. They are pro hunting (Fudds) and anything outside of that they wouldn't be willing to raise a single finger to help keep legal. Is MI Pro 2A? Nope. It's still a Blue state (regardless of the 2016 election) and we still have moronic libs in Ann Arbor and Detroit screwing it up for the rest of us.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

I am a Forum User
    Michigan is progun but our politicians aren't.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    This'll probably piss some people off, and those who do get mad, are the ones I'm talking about.
    Michigan is full of Fudds. Their give a damn meter only registers on hunting rifles and could care less about all other firearms. I'm around them all the time. "I'm a duck hunter, so have 20 different shotguns. I don't see a need for an AR15". "Got my trusty Remmy 700 30-06. Only gun I need. Could care less if they make all them M16s and stuff illegal".
    So is MI pro gun? Maybe. They are pro hunting (Fudds) and anything outside of that they wouldn't be willing to raise a single finger to help keep legal. Is MI Pro 2A? Nope. It's still a Blue state (regardless of the 2016 election) and we still have moronic libs in Ann Arbor and Detroit screwing it up for the rest of us.
    I agree with this statement.

I am a Forum User
    Exactly...bring up getting rid of registration and watch the handwringing and wild what ifs start

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    Michigan is progun but our politicians aren't.
    Most of the politicians are Fudds as described above. They stand in front of us and come to our Sports Clubs and boldly claim to support the 2nd Amendment, yet they will get into office and get that "BUT" we need bla bla bla. Then, if you call them on it, they will turn on you and proclaim that YOU are what is wrong with the 2A movements, YOU can't see the work that needs to be done, bla bla, bla.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
    I agree with this statement.
    I have to agree as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast