Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Police seize first firearms under Florida's new gun-control laws

What can go wrong?
    Police seize first firearms under Florida's new gun-control laws

By Paula McMahon
    Sun Sentinel
    March 16th. 2018

A Broward County judge on Friday issued the state’s first order temporarily removing guns from a person under Florida’s new gun-control laws.

Four firearms and 267 rounds of ammunition were ordered removed from a 56-year-old Lighthouse Point man who was determined to be a potential risk to himself or others.

The guns and ammunition have been temporarily removed from the man under the state’s new “risk protection” law, which is also sometimes called “red flag” legislation, Lighthouse Point City Attorney Michael Cirullo confirmed.

The man was also taken to a hospital for involuntary psychiatric treatment under the state’s Baker Act. But the civil ruling removing his access to guns and ammunition was granted under the new legislation — which permits confiscating guns from people who have not been committed but are deemed a potential risk to themselves or others, according to the order signed by Broward’s Chief Judge Jack Tuter.

The man is also prohibited from trying to purchase or obtain guns or ammunition from any source.

I am a Forum User
    Anybody else see a GREAT potential for this law being used or abused by gun grabbing police agencies or anti gun communities?

Bet this guy never gets his guns & ammo back & definitely won't ever get compensated for their value.

Every month we seem to get closer to pre WW2 Germany.

I wonder when they will start confiscating cars from drivers suspected of being a potential risk to himself or others?

Maybe seize homes from people that don't keep their lawns mowed or the windows clean.

How about guns/gun related that are in trust, will they seize the guns in the trust if anyone on the trust is deemed a potential risk to himself or others?
    Last edited by slingshot77; 03-17-2018 at 08:51 AM.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

risk assessment is the new swatting
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

To be fair... The guy sounds like a mental if you actually read the article and if it holds any truth.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1941 View Post
    To be fair... The guy sounds like a mental if you actually read the article and if it holds any truth.
    maybe he has an electrical fault that is putting voltage into his floorboards. that stuff will drive you nuts.
    I can relate, because as a kid if you touched the fridge and stove at the same time, your muscles suddenly twitched and you couldn't let go. After a few years of laughing at all the kids getting zapped all the time, dad (an electrician) finally got around to fixing it.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Pretty much seems that way.

Yet, even tho the article mentioned a total of four firearms, the picture shows quite a few more. (An 'innocent mistake' by the media I'm sure.)

Yes. And to be truly fair, the psych eval would be completed FIRST. He was removed from guns. There was no reason to then take the guns (without due process) before the evaluation was complete. Now, if there is no problem, how is he going to get his property returned, or for any heirs to have claim.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    So if your county has a liberal judge your screwed. Wonder how long until the first time a person is fraudulently raided and has legal grounds for a lawsuit?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by emuscott View Post
    So if your county has a liberal judge your screwed. Wonder how long until the first time a person is fraudulently raided and has legal grounds for a lawsuit?
    He'll lose that case as guns are involved (think of the kids!)

MGO Board of Directors

Many anti-gunners (including judges) believe that owning guns is the definition of insanity, so we can all be hunted down and committed!
    Reeducation camp, anyone?
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast