Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    Why is there suddenly concern over training these teachers before arming them? There have been several threads here that have stated anyone (who is not otherwise barred from ownership or possession) should be able to own a gun, and additionally be able to carry concealed without any mandated training. It appears we are being somewhat selective - or tunnel-visioned - in our approach.
    Well, darn good question;

On that same theme then why train airline pilots. Just give them a basic pilots license & allow them to fly a passenger plane full of people.

Or why require CDL licenses with passenger bus qualifications. Just give them a basic drivers license & allow them to drive a bus full of passengers.

Or why train doctors. Just give them a basic medical certificate & allow them to treat & operate on sick people.

Or why do we require police officers to train, qualify, & maintain firearm proficiency before they can protect the public. Why not just give them a CPL & send them out on the streets with a firearm.

Lots of jobs or occupations require special (re advanced) training before personal can interface with large groups of people where safety is a prime concern.

There is a right way & wrong way to handle arming teachers in crowded classrooms. If we do it wrong then it will be a difficult hole to dig ourselves out of if/when something unintended involving children's safety happens.

Lets either do it right & fully train specific qualified teachers with periodic re-training & required-interval proficiency qualifications, or don't specifically arm teachers but just open the schools to general CPL carry & let each teacher/personal/general public at that school carry under their CPL & live with the accidents, fallout, & unforeseen consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post

On that same theme then why train airline pilots. Just give them a basic pilots license & allow them to fly a passenger plane full of people.

Or why require CDL licenses with passenger bus qualifications. Just give them a basic drivers license & allow them to drive a bus full of passengers.

Or why train doctors. Just give them a basic medical certificate & allow them to treat & operate on sick people.

Or why do we require police officers to train, qualify, & maintain firearm proficiency before they can protect the public. Why not just give them a CPL & send them out on the streets with a firearm.

Lots of jobs or occupations require special (re advanced) training before personal can interface with large groups of people where safety is a prime concern.

There is a right way & wrong way to handle arming teachers in crowded classrooms. If we do it wrong then it will be a difficult hole to dig ourselves out of if/when something unintended involving children's safety happens.

Lets either do it right & fully train specific qualified teachers with periodic re-training & required-interval proficiency qualifications, or don't specifically arm teachers but just open the schools to general CPL carry & let each teacher/personal/general public at that school carry under their CPL & live with the accidents, fallout, & unforeseen consequences.
    Protecting yourself with a firearm is a right. The rest is privilege.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmann1967 View Post
    Protecting yourself with a firearm is a right. The rest is privilege.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Exactly. The things listed have nothing to do with rights and are ostensibly done to protect the public. By his logic, anyone the carries a gun in public should have to be trained and tested before they can be around other people.

We have lawful carry in nearly every state. Despite the lack of required training and qualifications, the accident rate and unforeseen consequences is very low.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post

Have YOU ever seen the qualifications that LEO must pass? It is not that tough.

I will tell you right up front, the common IDPA, 3-gun, or other competitor is probably more proficient than the average LEO. One group regularly practices and competes to become the best they can be. The other group just works to pass a test that is required as part of their job. MOST LEO are NOT gun people, it is just a part of the job.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Have YOU ever seen the qualifications that LEO must pass? It is not that tough.

I will tell you right up front, the common IDPA, 3-gun, or other competitor is probably more proficient than the average LEO. One group regularly practices and competes to become the best they can be. The other group just works to pass a test that is required as part of their job. MOST LEO are NOT gun people, it is just a part of the job.
    If you watched the Flint Town documentary on netflix, there was a part where they were explaining to the cadets that a gun should be looked at as something that can save innocent or their own lives, and it should NOT be looked at as just another tool on the belt that they may take out only once a year for qualifications...

I imagine most people that are not shooters totally missed that point, and i'm guessing more than a few shooters missed it too.
    meanwhile, I was shooting last week, will be shooting again this weekend, and usually make an effort to go at least once or twice a month during my busy times...
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Have YOU ever seen the qualifications that LEO must pass? It is not that tough. - snip.
    Copied from MCOLES :
    DELETE - Was for "CCW" Civilian training

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by LivoniaDan View Post
    Copied from MCOLES :
    DELETE - Was for "CCW" Civilian training
    Try…
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/m...d_249947_7.pdf
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234