Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    This is not an attack on you, but more the idea that many have said and you mentioned

NOBODY said that every teacher should carry or that every classroom should have a gun. the NRA didn't say it in 2012, obama didn't say it in 2013, nobody has said it since, and trump didn't say it in 2018.
    That is the strawman argument that the anti-gun folks are using to try to discredit the idea of having any armed teachers. Yes, forcing every teacher to carry a gun tomorrow is a STUPID idea. That's why nobody is pushing it except the imaginary people that the left is trying to vilify. I was a substitute for a few years when I was younger. I didn't know as much as I do now, but I could certainly shoot straight and I knew when not to shoot. It's not rocket science. If a shooter is killing folks at random, they're bad. self defense is called for - not even bringing up the issue of defending others.
    If somebody is blocked in a room with somebody that's shooting eenie, meenie, and miney, your average moe is smart enough to spot the pattern and act accordingly - "run" and "hide" aren't options anymore, "fight" is all that's left.
    There are a few that are saying that, but you are right that the gun rights groups have never said it. Teachers, as a group, aren’t that different than most professions, in that there are wide range of political beliefs. Some are totally anti gun and will never embrace the idea of guns in schools. Others are interested in carrying at work and just want the choice.

I do have some difficulty understanding the fear that teachers will lose their guns to students, leave them in the bathroom, or otherwise have accidents at schools. Utah has allowed teachers to carry for years and there has been one minor incident...one....let’s get rid of the chicken little arguments. The sky isn’t falling.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

I think it should be left up to the district to allow guns in their buildings. If something happens at a school that has no armed protection, shame on them. The students & the other staff do not need to know who's carrying. Concealed is concealed. Retention is retention. But the gun should definitely be ON the person. Safes are not a good idea. Most of us could walk in any school concealed & no one would know. Why broadcast it one way or the other? A district could announce they have armed personnel in the building, that alone should be a deterrent. Remember the sign that said, "This property is protected by a 12 ga. shotgun 4 days a week. You decide which days."
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    The students are going to know who's carrying, and word will spread quickly. Teachers are at the front of the classroom, standing on display for 20+ young people for several class periods per day multiplied by the number of days in a school year. One kid gets a glimpse, and everyone will know, "Mrs. Wilson's packin' heat".

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
    The students are going to know who's carrying, and word will spread quickly. Teachers are at the front of the classroom, standing on display for 20+ young people for several class periods per day multiplied by the number of days in a school year. One kid gets a glimpse, and everyone will know, "Mrs. Wilson's packin' heat".
    +1

Maybe a couple will be diligent enough to keep their carry habits hidden but for the most part it will be quickly known by most students.

Or figured out by the parents, one parent (or student) seeing a teacher at the range or gun shop then the talking starts on social media & neighborhood talk.

Back before I retired (someone I know) carried for years in a gun-free work place. Most co-workers & definitely management had no idea but a few co-workers eventually figured it out. The good part was the ones smart enough to figure it out were OK with it as they were against a gun-free work place without the company providing any means of preventing weapons entry at the entry gates & entry doors.

I am a Forum User
    I'm just surprised that all these educators all of a sudden want training now that it's free but never took the initiative before.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    I'm just surprised that all these educators all of a sudden want training now that it's free but never took the initiative before.
    Ah, the power of hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    What makes you think educators weren’t already getting trained? If any trainer offered free classes, they would be full within no time.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
    Maybe, but I think you are overestimating the powers of observation. For every legal carrier, there are probably half a dozen that carry illegally. You probably pass a bunch of them every day and never notice. Utah has had teacher carry for a decade and no one seems to know who is packin heat.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Maybe, but I think you are overestimating the powers of observation. For every legal carrier, there are probably half a dozen that carry illegally. You probably pass a bunch of them every day and never notice. Utah has had teacher carry for a decade and no one seems to know who is packin heat.
    Well they know of one for sure, the one that shot herself in the leg & shot a commode in the bathroom.

As for passing a bunch everyday, sure, but those same people are not standing in front of 60 eyes per hour 4 or 5 times a day 5 days a week.

A subtle change in the way a teacher dresses, that hand that checks the gun every time a teacher stands up or gets out of a vehicle, the female that suddenly starts locking her purse up differently or starts carrying purse with her everywhere when she never did before.

Those school kids might act dumb but some are pretty darn savvy, they WILL figure it out, once they do the talk starts.

Way back when I was in school we knew if a teacher got new socks.

No doubt that a few teachers will be able to keep their weapons hidden & undetected but my guess is that a much greater number of distracted, busy, involved teachers will not be able to do so (at least in the long term of a school year or two).
    Last edited by slingshot77; 03-20-2018 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    Well they know of one for sure, the one that shot herself in the leg & shot a commode in the bathroom.

As for passing a bunch everyday, sure, but those same people are not standing in front of 60 eyes per hour 4 or 5 times a day 5 days a week.

A subtle change in the way a teacher dresses, that hand that checks the gun every time a teacher stands up or gets out of a vehicle, the female that suddenly starts locking her purse up differently or starts carrying purse with her everywhere when she never did before.

Those school kids might act dumb but some are pretty darn savvy, they WILL figure it out, once they do the talk starts.

Way back when I was in school we knew if a teacher got new socks.

No doubt that a few teachers will be able to keep their weapons hidden & undetected but my guess is that a much greater number of distracted, busy, involved teachers will not be able to do so (at least in the long term of a school year or two).
    One accident in over a decade. I’d say that isn’t a bad safety record.

Kids aren’t any more observant than adults. I’d say they are probably less observant about some things.

Some of you are just as bad as the antis. I read enough nonsense from them in the msm. I am kind of surprised to see it here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast