Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MGO Member
    I did 32 years in LE here in Michigan and can tell you that this is really nothing new. We done it before by calling a judge and getting an order to remove based on observations by the officers and testimony from the family. It may sound Gestopo to those unfamiliar with LE work but on the flip side, we can get sued if we didn't take some action and the person killed someone, including himself. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. All the law does is by pass the need to wake a judge up at 3AM to get something signed.
    And yes, they or the next of kin get the guns back. We cannot legally destroy private property unless ordered to do so by the court. Both agencies that I worked for were very pro gun.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by moosedog2 View Post
    I did 32 years in LE here in Michigan and can tell you that this is really nothing new. We done it before by calling a judge and getting an order to remove based on observations by the officers and testimony from the family. It may sound Gestopo to those unfamiliar with LE work but on the flip side, we can get sued if we didn't take some action and the person killed someone, including himself. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. All the law does is by pass the need to wake a judge up at 3AM to get something signed.
    And yes, they or the next of kin get the guns back. We cannot legally destroy private property unless ordered to do so by the court. Both agencies that I worked for were very pro gun.
    Can you please cite a case where this happened?
    I was under the impression that qualified immunity covered cops for things like that.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Yes. And to be truly fair, the psych eval would be completed FIRST. He was removed from guns. There was no reason to then take the guns (without due process) before the evaluation was complete. Now, if there is no problem, how is he going to get his property returned, or for any heirs to have claim.
    This above is true. Incidents like this will be spotlighted in the media for some time. It will normalize gun confiscation in the populaces eye for anything you want it to be tied to.

I am a Forum User
    My Favorite Saying
    "Those who do not know History are Doomed to Repeat it"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12