Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Legality of shipping slide for custom work

Questions about shipping a serialized slide from in state to out of state:

Some handguns have serial numbers on multiple parts of the gun. For example, CZ 75 P-01 has it on the frame, slide, and barrel. Are all of these parts considered the "firearm" under state and federal law? Or is it considered only the frame, even though the other parts are serialized? What is the legal process of shipping a serialized slide out of state for custom work?
    Last edited by SelfDefense; 03-20-2018 at 03:10 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Nope it is not a complete handgun. Ship away!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post

Some handguns have serial numbers on multiple parts of the gun. For example, CZ 75 P-01 has it on the frame, slide, and barrel. Are all of these parts considered the "firearm" under state and federal law? Or is it considered only the frame, even though the other parts are serialized? What is the legal process of shipping a serialized slide out of state for custom work?
    To clarify, the vast majority of handguns, the grip-frame only is what is considered to be the "firearm". Anything else can be shipped through USPS.

Complete handguns can be shipped through fed-ex and UPS by their owners, to licensed gunsmiths; they require pistols to be shipped next day.

Quote Originally Posted by DP425 View Post
    To clarify, the vast majority of handguns, the grip-frame only is what is considered to be the "firearm". Anything else can be shipped through USPS.

Complete handguns can be shipped through fed-ex and UPS by their owners, to licensed gunsmiths; they require pistols to be shipped next day.
    Ohh I guess I misunderstood then. Just to be 100% sure I'm understanding this correctly, does this mean the grip-frame is still the only part that is considered the "firearm" for a pistol even if other parts have the serial number on them as well? For some reason I thought it was whichever parts were serialized.

Interesting, I wonder why some manufacturers decide to put the serial number on multiple parts in the first place...

I am a Forum User
    Ohh I guess I misunderstood then. Just to be 100% sure I'm understanding this correctly, does this mean the grip-frame is still the only part that is considered the "firearm" for a pistol even if other parts have the serial number on them as well? For some reason I thought it was whichever parts were serialized.

Interesting, I wonder why some manufacturers decide to put the serial number on multiple parts in the first place...
    That's correct. The ATF only considers an "action", "receiver" or "frame" to be the firearm. In pistols, that is almost always the frame. I cannot even think of any examples that are an exception to this. It doesn't matter how many other parts have a SN on them, ONLY the frame is the firearm.

Actually, I did just think of a "sort of" exception- Sig P250 and P320. On these pistols, there is a trigger pack with frame rails that can be removed as an entire unit. This is the "firearm" in this case, and the frame/grip is just a plastic accessory part. But this type of thing is the exception, rather than the rule.

On rifles, I can come up with an example- Sig 556Xi; where most two part receiver rifles tend to have the lower being the "firearm", on the 556Xi, it's the upper that is the "firearm".

As far as why the put SN's on a bunch of different parts; simply to allow people (and likely their service department) to know if it's all original.

Quote Originally Posted by DP425 View Post
    That's correct. The ATF only considers an "action", "receiver" or "frame" to be the firearm. In pistols, that is almost always the frame. I cannot even think of any examples that are an exception to this. It doesn't matter how many other parts have a SN on them, ONLY the frame is the firearm.

Actually, I did just think of a "sort of" exception- Sig P250 and P320. On these pistols, there is a trigger pack with frame rails that can be removed as an entire unit. This is the "firearm" in this case, and the frame/grip is just a plastic accessory part. But this type of thing is the exception, rather than the rule.

On rifles, I can come up with an example- Sig 556Xi; where most two part receiver rifles tend to have the lower being the "firearm", on the 556Xi, it's the upper that is the "firearm".

As far as why the put SN's on a bunch of different parts; simply to allow people (and likely their service department) to know if it's all original.

Except that it is actually even MORE convoluted than can be easily described. Generally, the part that is, contains/ retains the fire control group is the "firearm", be that the receiver on a bolt action, the lower on an AR, or the grip frame of a handgun or any other part that serves the same purpose.

On the M1919 and M2 it is the right hand side plate. It gets really wild when you get into some of the other NFA items.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    ^ CZ Evo the right side receiver plate is the "firearm". On the PMR-30 the FCG is the serialized part, akin to like the P250/320 internals

Interesting, I wonder why some manufacturers decide to put the serial number on multiple parts in the first place
    Fitted or dedicated parts are often serialize to help keep them together in manufacturing, or will be marked with a "build" number. Slide, barrel, and frame. This number is normally etched instead of stamped.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Interesting, I wonder why some manufacturers decide to put the serial number on multiple parts in the first place.
    A number of European countries regard user dismountable barrels as the 'firearm', or an independently regulated component. Germany regards both a dismountable barrel and the grip frame as 'firearms'. Switzerland regulates the barrel, slide, and grip frame as 'firearms'.

I am a Forum User

To be exact on this you really should call the gun company & talk to a representative about what part they consider the registration part of the firearm.

For example, on the Ruger Mark4 the frame contains the hammer, trigger, magazine (basic frame & fire control) but that can be shipped as a simple gun part as it isn't the serial numbered part of the gun. The upper receiver & barrel is the serial numbered part so has to be shipped as a firearm. Kind of an outlier but just shows that all guns are not the same as far as what part is considered the actual gun.

On a Sig 320 you can ship the slide, barrel, lower frame with grip (everything) except the removable fire control group that snaps into the lower as that is serial numbered part.

I just looked at my CZ75 P-07 & the lower frame has a raised embossed serial number pad on the right side near the front (this is this serial numbered part on my P-07). I still suggest that you call on your P-01 to be certain.
    Last edited by slingshot77; 03-23-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast