Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

Looking for Safe Advice/Recommendations

I am looking to purchase another safe to hold 40+ Guns. I would like to purchase Fire and Waterproof one. I may have one for ammo and other for Pistols/Rifles.

What brand(s) does everyone use?
    Electronic Keypad vs. Dial?
    Locking Mechanism recommendations?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

I am a Forum User
    My advice is don't spend too much money. IMO, there's a point of diminishing returns that drops quickly once you're passed a certain price point. For a 40 gun safe, I'd guess you'd be in the $1,200 - $1,500 range. If you get passed that price point, you're paying for extra security that you don't need. Some will tell you that they can break into a safe of that price point with a few guys, large prybars, and/or angle grinders. But ask yourself the odds of anyone breaking into your home period... then the odds of a break-in by pry-bar/angle grinder wielding intruders. That number is close to zero.

So IMO, you could look into a mid-grade safe that offers decent fire protection and security. No safe is impregnable, but ask yourself what's a realistic threat. Angle-grinder crooks really aren't.

With regard to the entry type... I prefer non-electronics.

That's my advice. It's worth exactly what you paid for it.

I agree with musta, they pry bar seems like a real thing, but they would have to know you have sweet guns, so that means the person doing it is a friend or friend of a friend who talked about what you have.

I just have cheap stack on sheet metal safes, which are bascially a locking cabinet. If someone breaks in my house with no tools they are not getting in, its mostly to keep prying eyes and little kids like visitors kids away.

I would look to go really big, or two medium safes, the number of guns you can fit in there is kinda ambitious a lot of the time, it requires getting 7-8 guns out of the way to get the ones you want, its not 20 gun, or 40 gun easy access. Its technically 40 guns fit in there.

I would not mind a digital one and then I would hid a barrel key in the rafters or behind a picture etc etc, no just digital though.

I do not even worry about a fire, I just think it will all be trashed if there is a real fire, and it burns to the ground its all going, guns included.

MGO Member
    I appreciate replies. I have been looking around and as each of you stated, they go to thousands of dollars, but is it worth it.

Is there particular brand you recommend?
    Or place to purchase?

some are sold by more than one company, I would look more local, look at menards, or see what your local shop sells or can order. Same with homedepot, costco etc what they have instock you can go slam some doors and turn some knobs etc.

Lastly if you get a big beast of a unit, you will need to rent a specialty dolly, or have a friend with a pro quality movers dolly, and 2-3 guys to get it in your house, its a big deal to move the giant ones.

The medium sized but still heavy duty ones are a pain but doable.

Sheet metal ones are 40 lbs, no big deal.

I just know what I see at friends and families houses, run of the mill browning is nice, to sorta low end stack on. All seem pretty much the same on the heavy duty ones.

How many rifles do you have? That will make it easier to suggest. If you have 6, dont think you will buy more than 10, have 4 handguns.

something like this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...g?cm_vc=-10005

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...k?cm_vc=-10005

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On...MG-C/202996375

that would suit most people well.

Then buy a cheap stack on 100 dollar sheet metal unit and fill it with ammo cans and supplies accessories etc.

I would get one configured for maximum long guns, I do not care about ammo in that safe, or instruction, log, cleaning supplies etc. Just all my long guns barely stuffed in there.

MGO Member
    My collection is continually growing and moving towards rifles. I would like to keep my ammo in one, but that may become difficult as stock up. I will check out TSC.

I am a Forum User
    I suggest a Liberty Centurion or something in that price/quality range. And if you're going to be in the neighborhood of 40 long guns, I'd take dirt's advice and not get one big safe. Get two medium sized safes. If you get a 24 gun safe, for example, that's around 5' high and has a weight somewhere around 400 lbs., it's easily moveable by two adults with just an appliance dolly which you can rent for $10 at Uhaul.

My wife and I have moved ours with ease a few times, even up and down stairs. Anything bigger than that and it gets really heavy and the size gets to the point where you're taking off doors/door trims... I wouldn't want to deal with that. In fact, I've outgrown my safe and will soon be purchasing just a second safe of the same size. That way I don't have to pay hundreds more to have a professional move it or injure myself or my house doing so.

With regard to ammo storage, keep it in your safe if you want until you have too many guns. I bought some used gym lockers on Craigslist for about $40 and then just bought some keyed-alike padlocks on eBay for like $50. I keep a lot of stuff in the lockers (knives, slings, cleaning kits, hunting stuff, vehicle paperwork), but I got it mainly for ammo and it works great.

I am a Forum User
    Fort Knox is great and Sturdy as well. Both of my Fort Knox safes were able to be used as tax write off's. It's nice if a safe is classified as a document/vault and not strictly "gun" that way it's a win/win. And if your looking at a tax bill of a few grand you might as well drop the money on a expensive safe. Plus it fuels the habit and doesn't piss off the wife....YMMV

I am a Forum User
    I wouldn't go electric lock, sometimes when they fail, and it's just a matter of when, it will have to be drilled to open it. Tumbler locks can be opened by a competent safe guy.