Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: RI-060 question

I am a Forum User

RI-060 question

Just curious if when buying a used handgun if it is required for the buyer of the firearm to completely fill in their personal info on the SELLERS copy? I don't like the fact that someone that would likely guess I have other firearms has my full address and such.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MGO Board of Directors

Here's the actual law:

MCL 28.422a (2)
    (2) If an individual described in subsection (1) purchases or otherwise acquires a pistol, the seller shall complete a record in triplicate on a form provided by the department of state police. The record shall include the purchaser's concealed weapon license number, the number of the purchaser's license or certificate issued under the Michigan commission on law enforcement standards act, 1965 PA 203, MCL 28.601 to 28.615, or, if the purchaser is a federally licensed firearms dealer, his or her dealer license number. If the purchaser is not licensed under section 5b or does not have a license or certificate issued under the Michigan commission on law enforcement standards act, 1965 PA 203, MCL 28.601 to 28.615, and is not a federally licensed firearms dealer, the record shall include the dealer license number of the federally licensed firearms dealer who is selling the pistol. The purchaser shall sign the record. The seller may retain 1 copy of the record. The purchaser shall receive 2 copies of the record and forward 1 copy to the police department of the city, village, or township in which the purchaser resides, or, if the purchaser does not reside in a city, village, or township having a police department, to the county sheriff, within 10 days following the purchase or acquisition. The return of the copy to the police department or county sheriff may be made in person or may be made by first-class mail or certified mail sent within the 10-day period to the proper address of the police department or county sheriff. A purchaser who fails to comply with the requirements of this subsection is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $250.00. If a purchaser is found responsible for a state civil infraction under this subsection, the court shall notify the department of state police. If the purchaser is licensed under section 5b, the court shall notify the licensing authority of that determination.
    So, it is actually the seller that is required to complete the form. While the statute does not specifically state that the purchaser's address must be included, the "form provided by the department of state police" includes those fields. So, if going by the letter of the law, the seller is responsible for completing the RI-60, including the purchaser's address.

Now, from a practical standpoint, you could tell the seller that you will complete your address on the copy to be submitted to your LE agency. That "might" raise some red flags with certain sellers since they might want to have a complete "paper trail" on who bought it, should LE come knocking on their door down the road asking questions about the handgun. On the flip side, many sellers would be fine with it and look at it as just saving some time in the transaction.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

As long as the buyer fills in my copy of the form, I'm good with that. I did my part. For all I know the buyer might throw away his copies.

Tapatalk on SGS7
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.