Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Decisions Decisions!!

I've spent the best part of the day looking at scope reviews in the under $200 category. I would love to be able to spend more but I simply can't justify it (Especially to my wife) So here I am. I had the Nikon P-223 3-9x40 BDC 600 in the cart but backed out after reading the 23 negative reviews on amazon. Yes, even though that was out of 800 plus reviews in which 83% were 5 star, I still backed out. Yes, I am a pessimist. I always look on the dark side of things. I'm the member of the patrol that always sees what could go wrong and calls for more ammo to compensate for any scenario! And lets throw in a few extra 203's just to be sure!!

I already have a Nikon Buckmaster 3X9X40 BDC mounted on a Sporterized Lee Enfield 303. I,m looking for something to mount on my new Mossberg MVP 556 20" barrel when it arrives. Maybe the Buckmaster would be better suited to the new rifle and get something else for the 303? Decisions decisons. Thoughts from your real world experience?

Banned
    I like to buy used Leupold or Burris.
    A BDC may be useful for the MVP.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipmen...ment-Used/163/

MGO Member
    I have 6 Mueller scopes .... this is the one I would choose for the MPV
    Sale price $145 ... read the BDC reticle explanation and decide.

http://muelleroptics.com/products/mueller-6-18x44-apv/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 View Post
    I have 6 Mueller scopes .... this is the one I would choose for the MPV
    Sale price $145 ... read the BDC reticle explanation and decide.

http://muelleroptics.com/products/mueller-6-18x44-apv/
    Buy it direct from the Beast and get the transferrable warranty and sunshade

83% 5 star ratings on a $200 scope and you question as to its suitability at this price point?

Here it is at $50 off your listed price if that will be a deal breaker.. https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/8497-...fle-scope.html
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Leupold vx-2 CDS just be patient for a sale. I got one last year for just a few dollars over 200. Also check out the Burris E1. I got one of those for about 125 2 years ago on sale, and I've seen them on sale under $150 since.

I am a Forum User
    I think you could get into a 2-7X Vortex Crossfire line for @$150 (3-9X Crossfire for just a hair more?).
    Or a Vortex Diamondback series, even 3-9X for @$200 delivered.
    SWFA usually has some pretty decent deals on them. I've never had any issue with Vortex Optics, but even if you do, I think they all have lifetime/fully transferrable warranties on them... Good glass, well built/accurate erector assemblies...

RE: the BDC reticles; unless you load your own ammo, for precision work I don't see any great advantage to them.
    Yes, they will get you in the "ballpark" for a quick shot, but most of the time for precision shots, you are going to be spinning the knobs to some degree, even with a supposedly "calibrated" BDC reticle...
    YMMV of course...

I have a nikon p223 3-9x40 on my AR10 upper in 44x1.8". If you're only ever going to use it at the range and not carry it it makes a great scope. What sucks about it is the quick zero caps that don't lock. First time I used it at the range I thought it was great. The first time I took it hunting and got up into my stand to find the elevation knob was turned halfway around. After moving it back it didn't look like it was even with the #4 hash mark on the turret body like it had been before. So, back to the range and sure enough the turret caps had rotated, and also lifted up to their freewheel position and rotated. I hunted the rest of that year with tape over the knobs. Contacted Nikon to see if they had an upgrade turret cap that locked and they said they did not. After deer season that year I took the turret screws out and took them apart to replace the spring and washer that lets you lift the cap up and reset the zero with a solid bushing that now requires you unscrew the turret screw to do that. This past year I hunted with the same upper and had no issues as it was easy to return the knobs to zero if they got bumped out of place and know you're putting the scope back to actual zero and not just lining up the numbers.

Past that I've got several of their 3-9x40 buckmaster scopes, vortex scopes, redfield and Burris scopes that were all under $200. The last scope I got was a 3-9x40x30mm Burris E1 that was about $150 on sale from cabelas. The cross hair design don't go all the way to the edges of the field of view, but that's the only gripe I have with it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrema312 View Post
    Leupold vx-2 CDS just be patient for a sale. I got one last year for just a few dollars over 200. Also check out the Burris E1. I got one of those for about 125 2 years ago on sale, and I've seen them on sale under $150 since.
    Leupold has discontinued their VX1 and VX2 lines. They are going to be replaced by something called the Freedom line. They also permanently dropped the Compact and Rimfire models. Idiots...

MGO LIFE Member
    Generally when looking at negative reviews I actually go read them, sometimes there are legitimate concerns and problems, and sometimes you can tell that the customer either misused the product, asked more from the vendor than was reasonable to get a deal in their favor, rage quit, or any other number of things that disqualify their review from being regarded as serious. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the P-223 line, if you do order one hopefully you get one made on a Wednesday?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast