Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

SR 22 DIY Trigger

Mod if this is the wrong spot, please move.
    I would like to lighten the trigger on my SR 22.
    How tough of a job is it?
    Any recommendations as to kits?
    I love the gun but the trigger not so much.
    Thanks
    Norton
    [QUOTE]["Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin/QUOTE]

I am a Forum User
    Not really any aftermarket parts for the trigger. I may or may not have removed the magazine disconnect on mine, if I did, it may have helped a little with the grittiness.

Buy lots of ammo and shoot it a lot! That will definitely help loosen up the springs and smooth it out.

Thanks. That's the conclusion I reached.
    It's got about 1k through it.
    I found some info on line but I'm too chicken to dig into it.
    Guess I need some finger exercise...
    [QUOTE]["Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin/QUOTE]

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Mod if this is the wrong spot, please move.
    I would like to lighten the trigger on my SR 22.
    How tough of a job is it?
    Any recommendations as to kits?
    I love the gun but the trigger not so much.
    Thanks
    Norton
    The SR 22 was not an easy gun to do a trigger improvement on. I don't know of any "kits" (there might be but I usably don't use kits anyhow so I never went looking for one)

Also keep in mind that I am far from an expert on the SR 22 as I have only done one & that one gun wasn't even mine.

Lots of small internal parts to the SR 22 fire control system & while special tools are not needed the little springs can launch quite easily.

I have done a lot of pistol trigger jobs in my life so the SR 22 was not intimidating but it is different & somewhat complex for what it is & does.

If you just want a lighter trigger pull then you can lower the hammer spring force slightly, BUT!, the gun being a .22 will start giving you a problem setting off some .22 ammo if you go much lower on the hammer spring force. The basic secret to going lower on the hammer spring force is to slick up the fire control parts to allow a quicker & smoother hammer drop as that gains back a little of what the spring force reduction loses.

The one problem that I encountered was due to the fire control's disassembly/reassembly complexity as this darn gun is very time consuming to keep taking the gun apart to do trial & error on the hammer spring trimming. (if the hammer spring force is reduced just a little too much then you get into ignition problems with some .22 ammo).

So with the above in mind & the gun not being mine (doing a favor for a friend) I didn't overdue the spring force reduction so I might have left a little more spring force reduction on the table.

The gun that I worked on had a lot or trigger creep so that made for a lousy feeling trigger right from the get-go.

I (lightly) polished the trigger side contact points, polished the hammer side contact points, polished the trigger bar contact points, shimmed the hammer on the dragging side, etc. This smoothed the trigger pull a little & allowed a little faster hammer fall. It DIDN'T remove the trigger creep though.

To remove most of the trigger creep took careful stoning the hammer hook & sear to hammer contact, this is a very time consuming operation as it is ever so easy to change the contact angles & make the gun unsafe. I also shortened the hammer hook (sear engagement) slightly to reduce the creep & sharpen the pull-through. Caution: working on the hammer sear contact area is a critical area so takes a good understanding on the function & safety aspect of those parts to retain a safe engagement angle & safe engagement depth.

The SR 22 that I did sure doesn't feel like a finely honed 1911 but it was a night & day difference as far a creep-reduction & overall trigger feel goes.

If you take your SR 22 apart then pay attention to the fire control group removal as the fire control group will not come out of the frame without prying the fame off (up away from) the raised serial number on the fire control group. Also keep an eye ( & finger) on the slide release spring as that could launch as the fire control group is pulled from the frame. Once the fire control group is removed then nothing real complicated but it does contain a LOT of parts. Hammer spring removal/reinstallation is the hardest part here.