Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am a Forum User

What Does ‘Well Regulated’ Really Mean?

By Gregory Clay
    Inside sources
    April 11th. 2018

The interpretation of two words should be simple, shouldn’t it. On the surface, the answer is yes. Except, in this case, this surface can be a bit on the thorny side because we are talking about the Second Amendment.

And the two words are: “well regulated.”

The 27-word amendment reads: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Dr. Robert J. Cottrol is the editor of the book “Gun Control and the Constitution: Sources and Explorations on the Second Amendment.” And Cottrol, a Second Amendment expert and legal historian, is the Harold Paul Green Research Professor of Law at George Washington University.

He says the words “well regulated” refer to proficiency and top-notch training.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokepole View Post

By Gregory Clay
    Inside sources
    April 11th. 2018

Like a well regulated clock [emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

MGO Member Forum User
    IIRC there is a whole discussion/debate around the use of commas in that sentence also.

I've actually always thought the commas helped. Two separate things. Well regulated militia. The right to bear arms. Neither shall be infringed. Just my take.

Dice

You can take the meaning of "well regulated" from the body of the Constitution.

The "militia", being all able-bodied persons between the ages of 16 and 60, as per the "militia act" are on their own until they are called forth as per Article I Sec 8, under powers of Congress. At that time, Congress is "To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;".

When called upon to serve the Country, organizing and arming is without question. The "discipline" is some what open to interpretation.

Those bold parts are what "well regulated" means. The ability to recognize all of those between 16 and 60 as the militia, when they have been free to establish themselves as such is the is the whole intent of recognizing the (as written, preexisting right) right to keep and bear arms.

As in most cases, it is not correct or proper to take a portion, or even a single word or phrase out of the Constitution or Amendments and try to analyze it without the context in which it was written.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Banned
    According to that , I will not be able to be considered for militia after Patriots Day