Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

SB 0934, 0935, 0936, 0937 & 0938 of 2018 - Expand Background Checks & Eliminate CPL Holders from exempted individuals for "Gun Free School Zones"

SB 0934 of 2018
    Weapons; firearms; license or background check for purchase of firearms; require. Amends secs. 2, 2a, 2b, 12 & 14a of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.422 et seq.).
    Last Action: 4/12/2018 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS

SB 0935 of 2018
    Weapons; firearms; references to pistol in penal code; update. Amends secs. 223, 232a & 237a of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.223 et seq.). TIE BAR WITH: SB 0934'18

SB 0936 of 2018
    Weapons; firearms; references in sentencing guidelines; update. Amends secs. 11b & 16m, ch. XVII of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 777.11b & 777.16m). TIE BAR WITH: SB 0934'18

SB 0937 of 2018
    Civil procedure; injunctions; extreme risk protection order act; enact. Creates new act. TIE BAR WITH: SB 0938'18

SB 0938 of 2018
    Weapons; firearms; purchase of firearms; prohibit if individual has an extreme risk protection order. Amends secs. 2, 2b & 5b of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.422 et seq.). TIE BAR WITH: SB 0937'18
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

This appears to be attempting to do the same thing as HB 5369 of 2017.

In addition, it is attempting to remove CPL holders from this or another state from the list of exempted individuals to the "Gun Free School Zones" (see SB 0935 of 2018). That is a KEY part of MGO's case currently in the Supreme Court.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

It also includes an entire new section called the "Extreme risk protection order act":

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...8-SIB-0937.pdf

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    It also includes an entire new section called the "Extreme risk protection order act":

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...8-SIB-0937.pdf
    Yeah, Wittenberg introduced a version of that trash last year.

I am a Forum User
    While the Supreme Court was grilling Makowski over "Why is the legislature trying to add schools to MCL 123.1101?"

Here we are having the legislature try to fix MCL 750.237a...

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    While the Supreme Court was grilling Makowski over "Why is the legislature trying to add schools to MCL 123.1101?"

Here we are having the legislature try to fix MCL 750.237a...
    This was *fast*

I'm guessing they already had a blueback with the co-sponsors already signed on, but waiting to see how Oral Arguments went before dropping it.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Looking at SB 0934 it seems like they're amending it to require everyone to get a permit to purchase any firearms, and seem to be instituting the same registration requirements as pistol sales in regards to sending MSP a copy of the records for registration of all firearms.

Am I reading this wrong?

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Anectinate View Post
    Looking at SB 0934 it seems like they're amending it to require everyone to get a permit to purchase any firearms, and seem to be instituting the same registration requirements as pistol sales in regards to sending MSP a copy of the records for registration of all firearms.

Am I reading this wrong?
    SB 0934 would require a purchase permit or CPL for all firearm buyers (i.e., all firearms sales, including long guns, would require a background check, FFL or private).

There is language in SB 0934 that stops the process short of having to return copies of the completed license to purchase (LTP, i.e., "purchase permit") or RI-60 (sales record for purchases where a CPL was used in lieu of a purchase permit) to the police for registration purposes. In other words, this bill does not expand the Michigan Handgun Registration to include all firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    In other words, this bill does not expand the Michigan Handgun Registration to include all firearms.
    YET!

The next step, as soon as they figure out that this is unenforceable in a private sale, will be get them all in a data base so they can check to see if it is in the right hands.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    YET!

The next step, as soon as they figure out that this is unenforceable in a private sale, will be get them all in a data base so they can check to see if it is in the right hands.
    Agreed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast