Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Question AR-15 Fail to Fire or Light Strike, looking for help

I have a new build AR-15 FTFire or Light Strike about 2-3 times per Magazine. At first I thought is was the "cheap" Wolf ammo, but I have since tried several other types with the same result. Also it does not seem to be magazine related as I have several dozen in a variety of manufactures and all work about the same. Also I have no problems with any of the ammo or magazines in a couple other builds.
    Here is a closeup photo of the rounds top 2 fired first time, bottom 2 were struck twice, some fire the second time around some will not, if you look close you can see these were struck twice.

Attachment 66336

In looking at other ejected casings my old eyes can't differentiate a smidgen of difference and the primers are all set within a few thousand's inch of being flush.
    My next step will be to exchange BCG with another one and try it. Anyone have a better plan or better, have experience in fixing this and tell me what to do?
    Yes, everything has been properly cleaned and lubricated.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
    Last edited by DV8r; 04-14-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Banned
    Invalid attachment. Can't see pics

Maybe the chamber has been reamed too deep.
    What kind of barrel?
    ETA - BY ALL MEANS SWAP OUT THE BCG'S.
    iT MAY just be a firing pin out of spec

CAPS OFF

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DV8r View Post
    I have a new build AR-15 FTFire or Light Strike about 2-3 times per Magazine. At first I thought is was the "cheap" Wolf ammo, but I have since tried several other types with the same result. Also it does not seem to be magazine related as I have several dozen in a variety of manufactures and all work about the same. Also I have no problems with any of the ammo or magazines in a couple other builds.
    Here is a closeup photo of the rounds top 2 fired first time, bottom 2 were struck twice, some fire the second time around some will not, if you look close you can see these were struck twice.

Attachment 66336

In looking at other ejected casings my old eyes can't differentiate a smidgen of difference and the primers are all set within a few thousand's inch of being flush.
    My next step will be to exchange BCG with another one and try it. Anyone have a better plan or better, have experience in fixing this and tell me what to do?
    Yes, everything has been properly cleaned and lubricated.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
    A number of things can cause a light strikes, you just have to be persistent & eliminate all the possibilities.

What trigger/hammer group are you using? If using a trigger group with light hammer spring that could cause your issue. If using a conventional AR trigger/hammer set up are you SURE that both hammer spring legs are on top of the trigger pin? (a hammer spring with a leg below the trigger pin can cause light strikes)

You mention seating primers so that speaks to using reloads? If you are using reloads then try some factory loads. If you don't have your sizing die set correctly then you might have some short rounds that move forward in the chamber when the firing pin hits them (are you checking loaded rounds with a go/no gauge?-- If not then you should be)

Have you checked the head space? If your new built gun has excessive head space that can allow a round to move forward as the firing pin strikes it & cause light hits.

Is you bolt carrier group assembled correctly? (are you getting enough firing pin protrusion at hammer strike?)

Banned
    trying to get that red mark erased

Account Closed Forum User
    Make sure your hammer spring is installed right!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by peppy62979 View Post
    Make sure your hammer spring is installed right!
    This ... this happens all the time ... If the hammer spring is backwards your gun will fire, but will light strike

I am a Forum User
    third vote for hammer spring being installed wrong

Banned
    I've seen that happen before also.