Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member Forum User

Cleaning up burrs on gun stock's checkering

I have a Winchester 94 Sporter and some parts of the stock have a lot of burrs on the checkered wood that I'd like to clean up. The checkering was a bit burred when I got it new from the factory but I haven't really ever cared to do anything about it. Now I kind of want to take it out and clean it up if possible. Is there a good way to go about trying to clean/remove the burrs from the checkering or is it something I should leave alone in the case that the checkering could get easily damaged if I tried messing with it?

I have attached a picture of said stock with an example of the wood burring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Looks like stamped. I could clean it up before coffee in the morning but it would take a few hours. Problem is, I would need coffee thereby making my hands shakey wakey haha
    You would need to trace every line in the checkering with a tool .
    You could just take a brass brush to take off the high spots but it would take material off the top of the diamonds.
    *disclaimer- not a 'Smith or offering to work on firearms

What I am seeing in the pic looks like a bunch of lint caught in the end fibers of the wood where end grain is exposed.

About all that you can do is clean the cloth fibers out. I would suggest a sticky tape to do that.

Then, to help prevent it happening again, you need to seal up the wood. A good oil or other clear finish will do that for you.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

RB has nailed it I believe.

Once you get it cleaned up use a soft toothbrush or similar to work the finish down in the grooves evenly. Go easy and apply it in in a couple light coats. Don't try to do it all in one coat or you will have puddling in the bottom of the cuts.
    True oil or the like is probably the easiest to apply and match the color of the rest of the stock with, but the poly finishes are more durable and repel water much better.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray