Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marketplace Moderator
    Steve77 stated that this is not really gunsmithing. It certainly is sir. You got a old gun shooting again. That is what it is all about. And then the pride that you can take because you did it yourself. Good Job Steve.
    Good Safe Shooting, MOOSE

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
    I would like that. Does the dog scent track them? Seems like squirrels cover lots of ground in a small area rather aimlessly. I’m curious how the dog narrows it’s search. How do they find them?
    He starts nose to the ground and every couple of minutes stops and listens. The hotter a scent gets the more often he stops and then, no joke, he starts looking up in the trees.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MichMass View Post
    He starts nose to the ground and every couple of minutes stops and listens. The hotter a scent gets the more often he stops and then, no joke, he starts looking up in the trees.
    Isn’t it crazy how they can breed that into a dog over enough generations? I find specialized dogs fascinating!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by moosefisher View Post
    Steve77 stated that this is not really gunsmithing. It certainly is sir. You got a old gun shooting again. That is what it is all about. And then the pride that you can take because you did it yourself. Good Job Steve.
    Good Safe Shooting, MOOSE
    Thanks! I’m just the do it yourself type. Sometimes I will spend more money fixing something myself than it would cost to pay someone. I am a carpenter by trade, and like learning new skills that build on my experience.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
    Thanks! I’m just the do it yourself type. Sometimes I will spend more money fixing something myself than it would cost to pay someone. I am a carpenter by trade, and like learning new skills that build on my experience.
    You going to use tung oil Steve?
    Quite a few years back, when I was doing some moisturizing of my M1 Garand & M-1A stocks and also some stripping/refurbishing of a really old '03-A3 stock, I had a hard time finding pure/100% Tung oil locally. Most of the "Tung Oil Finishes" which were much easier to find have varying degrees of mineral spirits added into them (anywhere from 25%-50%).
    The spirits are fine to add for the first couple coats on virgin wood, when better penetration into the wood is desired. But for the subsequent "film building" coats where you are adding protective layers to the surface, the 100% Tung is a much better choice to add a thicker film quicker. Also, having 100% Tung, one can always add the desired amounts of spirits if one wants to, but you can't take it out once it's in there.

I looked all over without much luck; paint stores, fine wood working shops, etc...
    One night, while I was in the store for a completely different reason, I checked the paint department at the local Meijers store. I'll be darned if they didn't have quart sized bottles of 100% Tung Oil on the shelves there!
    If you're having a hard time finding pure Tung, check out Meijer's paint department... It's been a while, but they may still have it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 BMG View Post
    You going to use tung oil Steve?
    Quite a few years back, when I was doing some moisturizing of my M1 Garand & M-1A stocks and also some stripping/refurbishing of a really old '03-A3 stock, I had a hard time finding pure/100% Tung oil locally. Most of the "Tung Oil Finishes" which were much easier to find have varying degrees of mineral spirits added into them (anywhere from 25%-50%).
    The spirits are fine to add for the first couple coats on virgin wood, when better penetration into the wood is desired. But for the subsequent "film building" coats where you are adding protective layers to the surface, the 100% Tung is a much better choice to add a thicker film quicker. Also, having 100% Tung, one can always add the desired amounts of spirits if one wants to, but you can't take it out once it's in there.

I looked all over without much luck; paint stores, fine wood working shops, etc...
    One night, while I was in the store for a completely different reason, I checked the paint department at the local Meijers store. I'll be darned if they didn't have quart sized bottles of 100% Tung Oil on the shelves there!
    If you're having a hard time finding pure Tung, check out Meijer's paint department... It's been a while, but they may still have it.
    Good advice! Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    Looks Awesome!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12