Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    I recall my time at gunsmith school back in the 70’s and 80’s and some advice and comments from instructors on your situation. Then I think about your questions and the gunsmith friends I've known for forty years out West, in NH and NC and in the final analysis there is no answer. The only thing that is a constant and that is the fact that about 75% of the time gunsmiths lose money. If you're financially solvent then pay for some good E&O insurance and enjoy yourself. But if you need a reliable family supportive income then I'd think twice or maybe three times.

In school they warned or advised that there really isn't such a thing as a good reliable walk-in gunsmith business there is only walk-ins that eventually suck the hours off a clock. In this age of internet business your UPS man is your best friend. That the only reliable business comes from word of mouth, some advertising at shoots, at clubs etc. and the best is having a gun writer in your corner or known match winners using your product. After that the best income, if you have machining skills, tooling, and an inventive mindset is to design and build a gun related product that can coexist with general gunsmithing work. Ron Power and Hamilton Bowen are old friends of mine and both have proven this formula but there are plenty of others like Jim Clarke/Jerry Miculek, Weigand, etc etc. all big names but there many more you never hear about who are doing well.

Not totally relevant since I got out of the business many years ago but I was a revolver mechanic building raceguns for plates, pins and other comp events in general. But walk-ins and law enforcement people about killed my business. It was people hanging around looking and continously prodding with questions and never generating a work order or cops looking for freebies. I and a number of my gunsmith friends had to go nocturnal. Close the shop during the days with only two half days open during the week. Posted hrs on the door. If you can do it then it works for one or two person shops. Of course if you have counter help or a secretary to mind the gates that's different. Anyway all the best of luck to you. The business needs good honest mechanics

I am a Forum User
    Jackson county. Plenty of rural areas and an hour to Kazoo, Lansing areas, half hour to Ann Arbor, just over an hour to Detroit, I-94 corridor, and really close to me. The last one is a bit selfish I know but no less true.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by garbler View Post
    I recall my time at gunsmith school back in the 70’s and 80’s and some advice and comments from instructors on your situation. Then I think about your questions and the gunsmith friends I've known for forty years out West, in NH and NC and in the final analysis there is no answer. The only thing that is a constant and that is the fact that about 75% of the time gunsmiths lose money. If you're financially solvent then pay for some good E&O insurance and enjoy yourself. But if you need a reliable family supportive income then I'd think twice or maybe three times.

In school they warned or advised that there really isn't such a thing as a good reliable walk-in gunsmith business there is only walk-ins that eventually suck the hours off a clock. In this age of internet business your UPS man is your best friend. That the only reliable business comes from word of mouth, some advertising at shoots, at clubs etc. and the best is having a gun writer in your corner or known match winners using your product. After that the best income, if you have machining skills, tooling, and an inventive mindset is to design and build a gun related product that can coexist with general gunsmithing work. Ron Power and Hamilton Bowen are old friends of mine and both have proven this formula but there are plenty of others like Jim Clarke/Jerry Miculek, Weigand, etc etc. all big names but there many more you never hear about who are doing well.

Not totally relevant since I got out of the business many years ago but I was a revolver mechanic building raceguns for plates, pins and other comp events in general. But walk-ins and law enforcement people about killed my business. It was people hanging around looking and continously prodding with questions and never generating a work order or cops looking for freebies. I and a number of my gunsmith friends had to go nocturnal. Close the shop during the days with only two half days open during the week. Posted hrs on the door. If you can do it then it works for one or two person shops. Of course if you have counter help or a secretary to mind the gates that's different. Anyway all the best of luck to you. The business needs good honest mechanics
    We already have an established business. We aren't just getting started and have a national clientele. We are looking for a place in Michigan to escape the liberal BS of IL. Thanks for your input.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MichMass View Post
    Jackson county. Plenty of rural areas and an hour to Kazoo, Lansing areas, half hour to Ann Arbor, just over an hour to Detroit, I-94 corridor, and really close to me. The last one is a bit selfish I know but no less true.
    This is another area we have looked at recently. I agree with all of your statements and even if it is a little selfish, its nice to know we would have one customer right away!

Quote Originally Posted by MichMass View Post
    Good hunting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BWHaas View Post
    We have family in Beaverton and Clare, there is a good possibility of being in that area. Can you tell me more about the other shops? Why did they close?
    The Gun Vault east of Gladwin just closed. the owner is a Navy contractor and his wife is in the Navy. They were just relocated so they sold everything including the building at an auction. The new owner of the building will be opening a gun shop soon.

Doesn't that seem like good business to live in that area though. Not many jobs in that area and therefore not a lot of money.

MGO LIFE Member
    I don't know how Oakland county would work for you business/competition wise, but it is in what I call the "butt crack of i75 and us23", south of i69 and has a lot of decent sized diverse population either in it or immediately in the vicinity especially as its southern boarders all flow into other cities without any noticeable boundaries, Oakland has its rural locations along its edges especially in its northern area before it becomes part of flint county (a Genesee county joke)..

Quote Originally Posted by pjeski View Post
    I recommend Livingston County.
    Howell or Fowlerville perhaps. That would get you Livingston and Ingham counties. You want rural? We got rural.
    Mike Ryan moved south last year, so we are short a smith.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by BWHaas View Post
    We already have an established business. We aren't just getting started and have a national clientele. We are looking for a place in Michigan to escape the liberal BS of IL. Thanks for your input.
    Sorry bout that I misunderstood or failed to read. Are you a full gunsmithing shop that can re-barrel, cut chambers and accurize most rifles ? Will you be doing performance and modification work on pistols or revolvers maybe re-barreling, setting back barrels, action jobs, sights etc or maybe warranty work. I look forward to seeing you make the move and continue your success here in Michigan.

Regards

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb32 View Post
    Hows your Shoulder doing?
    Great Mike thanks. Surgery went well and I’m dying in PT. Ready to start working again!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast