Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by trucker3573 View Post
    I held the form up. He didn't really "see" it. I was glad to not be harrased but if it were me that were the officer I certainly would not have walked away so fast.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    What would you expect the officer to check if you told him you were selling a power drill?

How about if you told him you were reviewing a term paper?

Or any other legal thing you can think of?

I've had officers approach or pull up behind us a few times. Usually they just ask what they're doing, do the whole "Someone called about you being suspicious" or "I saw you guys and wanted to see what was going on" so I just tell them I'm selling a gun and they go "Alright cool, have a good one!"

Had one officer get out of his car and check out one of my guns when I was selling it, he was cool.

No actual issues. I have heard of some officers hassling people and telling them that they're loitering while doing deals, or that the "manager of the place who owns the parking lot doesn't want you here."

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    Did he ask to see CPLs? I think that would have been his second inquiry, just to make sure all was good.
    Think you legally have to show them your CPL at that point if they ask?

MGO Member
    I have never had this happen, but I have done the parking lot sale thing twice and wish there was a better way to do FTF sales. Someone told me that the Troy police department has a parking area in front of the station for this type of thing. Anyone know if this is true?
    What if the local police station had a room that you could use? Would anyone use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged1 View Post
    I have never had this happen, but I have done the parking lot sale thing twice and wish there was a better way to do FTF sales. Someone told me that the Troy police department has a parking area in front of the station for this type of thing. Anyone know if this is true?
    What if the local police station had a room that you could use? Would anyone use it?
    A lot of police stations have "Online Exchange" spots out front with little signs. Usually infront of the main doors so they can see you. It's to make people who do Craigslist stuff feel a little safer.

Personally, when it comes to firearm deals, I think both people know "Yeah 99.9% chance this other guy has a gun so I probably shouldn't rob him." because you hear a lot about Craigslist issues but never private gun sales issues.

You'll get used to it, after a while. I work 60 hours a week and I don't get off and free until like 730-8pm. For me, it's hard to meet at PD's because they usually close their lobbies after 6 or so, so I meet a lot of people in random well lit parking lots at random times of the night. One of my first private sales was at 11pm at a Chicken shack...that on was a tiny bit sketchy honestly.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by somecrazygreek View Post
    I've had officers approach or pull up behind us a few times. Usually they just ask what they're doing, do the whole "Someone called about you being suspicious" or "I saw you guys and wanted to see what was going on" so I just tell them I'm selling a gun and they go "Alright cool, have a good one!"

Had one officer get out of his car and check out one of my guns when I was selling it, he was cool.

No actual issues. I have heard of some officers hassling people and telling them that they're loitering while doing deals, or that the "manager of the place who owns the parking lot doesn't want you here."
    You must be citing your "early days"…now they just pull up behind you, take a quick glance and say…"Oh, it's you again…buying or selling today?"
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    You must be citing your "early days"…now they just pull up behind you, take a quick glance and say…"Oh, it's you again…buying or selling today?"
    My local PD refers to me as "Richards Court" which is my street name (don't worry you still can't find me and most of y'all have my address anyway...) and always tell they're coming to my house if Russia invades because I have better gear than they do...

If I hand in less than 3 RI-60's at a time they tell me I'm slacking and need to step my game up.

Quote Originally Posted by somecrazygreek View Post

Think you legally have to show them your CPL at that point if they ask?
    So, with all the front seat gun deals you do, it's no wonder the ATF was interested in you. [emoji16]

Tapatalk on SGS7
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

1 cop, 1 time, very cool about it, went down like this.... "Trading guns?" "Yes Sir" "Got all your paper work? "Yes Sir" "Have a good day" " Thanks, You too" At that point in the sale, we were just standing around shooting the poop, so we just turned around and waved at the gas station clerk, smiled and drove off.
    Active airport shooter

MGO Member
    I was stopped on m46 in the thumb for going 5 miles over the speed limit on the way to sell a pistol. I was pulled over by a female State Police officer. I told her I had a cpl and she asked where my pistol was, I told her on my left side in a holster and also had one in a case on the passenger seat. She asked if any were loaded and I said the one on my hip was but the the other one in the box wasn't and was meeting someone to sell it. She came back gave me a warning for speeding and told me to be safe doing the transaction....

I have not done a FTF firearm transaction in years. Years before that I did have the Police called, and the other guy was hauled away in the police car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast