Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

CDC Study Confirms over 2 Million Annual Defensive Gun Uses

Unpublished CDC Study Confirms over 2 Million Annual Defensive Gun Uses

By AWR Hawkins
    Breitbart
    April 21st. 2018

An unpublished Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study confirms Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck’s findings of more than two million defensive handgun uses (DGUs) per year.

Since the early 1990s, Kleck has maintained that there is a minimum of 760,000 DGUs annually. That is his low estimate; Kleck and research partner Marc Gertz have contended the actual number is closer to 2.5 million.

Kleck reaffirmed his numbers on February 17, 2015, explaining that while plenty of naysayers have criticized his findings, none have been able to offer empirical evidence to counter them.

Now, a CDC study conducted on data from 1996, 1997, and 1998 has been uncovered. The study, which was never released to the public, shows approximately 2.46 million DGUs per year.

Kleck summarized the CDC findings:
    In 1996, 1997, and 1998, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) conducted large-scale national surveys asking about defensive gun use (DGU). They never released the findings, or even acknowledged they had studied the topic. I obtained the unpublished raw data and computed the prevalence of DGU. CDC’s findings indicated that an average of 2.46 million U.S. adults used a gun for self-defense in each of the years from 1996 through 1998 – almost exactly confirming the estimate for 1992 of Kleck and Gertz (1995). Possible reasons for CDC’s suppression of these findings are discussed.

On April 20, 2018, Reason magazine quoted Kleck’s reaction to the unpublished CDC findings; he explained that a figure of 2.46 million DGUs a year “[implies] that guns were used defensively by victims about 3.6 times as often as they were used offensively by criminals.”

A perfect reason to de-fund much of what the CDC does in regards to firearms. In a period of high contention over firearms, the CDC doesn't publish the truth of a study that shows that a big chunk of the oppositions' narrative is false. It is a factual lie of omission.

I believe that in the current budget, the CDC has been funded to a limited amount for additional studies.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    A perfect reason to de-fund much of what the CDC does in regards to firearms. In a period of high contention over firearms, the CDC doesn't publish the truth of a study that shows that a big chunk of the oppositions' narrative is false. It is a factual lie of omission.

I believe that in the current budget, the CDC has been funded to a limited amount for additional studies.
    I think that every study funded by the taxpayers should be made public prior to the funds being disbursed. Also, the scope of the study and the date the findings must be published by. Why are these organizations allowed to use public funds for studies that are never made public. Or, just cut off public funding for studies.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
    I think that every study funded by the taxpayers should be made public prior to the funds being disbursed. Also, the scope of the study and the date the findings must be published by. Why are these organizations allowed to use public funds for studies that are never made public. Or, just cut off public funding for studies.
    you need the funding to do the research, so the order you propose doesn't necessarily work out well.
    Anything under government funds is open to FOIA requests - even emails and handwritten notes about the research. It's all supposed to be saved and archived. Also, anything published in private journals using gubmint's funds is also supposed to be published in the gubmint's open access database within a year of being published in a regular journal, so that the public still gets access, just not as timely because there is a lot of intellectual property and copyright involved.
    However, not everybody puts the papers out to the public, and if the public doesn't know data exists because it didn't get published at all, it's hard to FOIA it.

but then you get raw data and you might need a phd to interpret it all for you...
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

It is not like this is a private org using public funding. The CDC is a United States federal agency under the Department of Health and Human Services, and gets funded in whole by Congress. For a period of time, they were forbidden to consider firearms as being within their purview. Now, with this information coming out 20+ years after the fact, this should be considered governmental malfeasance. Except for the fact that they managed to keep this hidden for so long, someone should receive sanction for the act, but there is probably some limitation on the period of time to bring charges.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    And this is why paying taxes is so painful. Government wastes my money and demands more.

And this is why paying taxes is so painful. Government wastes my money and demands more.