Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Right handed shotguns for left handers

I have been looking for a semi-auto shotgun and it seems its easier and usually cheaper to buy a right handed shotgun. I've been told that I would have to worry about the shell ejecting into my face but I have never had this problem with any other gun I have shot. Just looking for some input from some people who may be in the same situation or some people with more experience with shotguns. Unfortunately, I don't have someone I could just go shoot the gun to find out if it would work. the gun primary uses would be hunting.

Unless you buy some sort of weird bull pup conversion, it will never be an issue. I shoot left handed, and have never had an issue with any semi-auto shotgun.

Dice

Remington offered several left handers, I believe the 870, and the 1100. Not sure of other models. Also, there are several bottom ejects. I am left handed, and never had problem with starboard ejects.
    "A warped mind is a terrible thing to waste"

my brother does what you describe with his mossberg shotgun, but he has a lefty 700 in 30-06 to hunt with.

If he had more money when he got the mossberg used, I am sure he would have ordered new in lefty if he could have.

I would go lefty new if money is not an issue. Why not ? I mean if its a off the shelf mass produced gun, and they offer lefty why not get it.

I am a Forum User
    I've shot both hands most of my life. I shot mostly left-handed for a long time and now I'm mostly right-handed. I've never owned a left-handed shotgun or rifle. Anything with a tang safety is pretty easy to work with. On Remington's I always just curl my middle finger around the trigger guard to use the safety and Remington's were my shotgun of choice for a long time when I was shoot left-handed. Many of the new shotguns have reversible safeties. I shot competitively for a long time and my autos were mostly Berettas with a couple Benellis mixed in. I don't think I ever reversed a safety that I remember, but the shim systems in the stock on those and a few others were very helpful setting cast for left-handed. I can only remember just a very few times where ejection gas or dirt was a problem shooting left-handed with a right-handed shotgun, and that was usually due to a wind conditions. A couple of instances and probably 30,000 rounds fired out of a right-handed semi-auto shooting left-handed was never much of a concern for me.

I am a Forum User
    The only gun that I ever had a consistent problem with was the early AR15 rifles . This was before the upper had a port buffer . Shotguns ? pumps and autos never had a problem , ejection was always ninety degrees out or slightly forward .

Jack

I am a Forum User
    My girlfriend is a lefty and prefers my right handed shotguns to her left handed one. It is much easier for her to load since she does not have to reach around for the ejection port. In fact at the MDFI shotgun class it gave her a speed advantage.

I am a Forum User
    I am left-handed and I solved the problem a long time ago when I was 8 years old by learning to shoot right-handed. Although I can shoot equally well either way, I now prefer shooting right-handed. But I have no issues shooting any long gun or handgun either way.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by elwarpo View Post
    My girlfriend is a lefty and prefers my right handed shotguns to her left handed one. It is much easier for her to load since she does not have to reach around for the ejection port. In fact at the MDFI shotgun class it gave her a speed advantage.
    ^this^
    I'm a lefty and find shotguns and bolt actions easier to operate LH than RH.

I am a Forum User
    Most imported (and a few American) right handed shotguns have some amount of 'cast off' in the butt stock. The butt stock is angled to the right as you get further back from the receiver, when the shotgun is in the upright position (as on a cleaning vise). This helps right handers with weak right eye dominance shoot well, but is a disaster for left handers. Left handers need 'cast on', where the butt stock is angled to the left as you get further back from the receiver.

You can look down the barrel of an upside down, UNLOADED shotgun to the buttstock toe and see cast when it is present. The typical shotgun butt stock cast is between 1/4 inch and 3/4 inch for a standard length of pull stock.

Most high volume, American made shotguns have no butt stock cast. This works equally well for both left and right handed shooters.

It is worth checking cast before you buy a right handed shotgun for left handed shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast