Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Beretta --Tomcat & Bobcat experience & observations

Update, post shooting two magazines of Remington .22 L.R. through the Bobcat the pistol became so fouled it would not feed additional rounds. Cleaning the Bobcat I then switching to CCI:-Mini Mags the pistol reliable fed over 100 rounds of those. At that juncture I ceased shooting that sidearm. The Tomcat fed over twenty four rounds with one failed to feed, magazine jam. (Arms-Corp 72 FMJ) The velocity of this round was measured at a maximum 884 FPS,(PACTS chromometer) ft./lbs. 125.

I recently purchased a Beretta Tomcat (.32 A.C.P.) that was manufactured in 2018 (Beretta's site.) In my experience & opinion--the negatives of the sidearm are that the Tomcat is limited to ammunition with 130 ft./lbs. of energy. While Federal, Winchester etc. does meet that standard many European ammunition tends to be "hotter." Another reality is that as there is no extractor. As the chamber gets dirty (75 rounds or so) the chamber become “gummed up” thus it needs to be wiped out. In the Bobcat(.22 LR) this a more of a concern as most .22 L.R. ammunition is dirtier. The use of CCI Mini-Mags (cleaner burning) is a solution that delay's the problem. The Winchester 71 grain does penetrate a pine 2x4 when discharged from the Tomcat as does the .25 A.C.P. when discharged from the Bobcat. The .22 L.R. Bobcat penetrates a 7/8 pine board. These pistols, to me, do meet their purpose in that they are easy to load and the concerns cited above are simply limitations of the design.
    Last edited by Lynn; 06-30-2018 at 02:41 PM. Reason: more data

Interesting observations for sure.
    I own a Berretta 950 (.25 ACP) but don't put 75 rounds through it in a year so it never gets gummed up or gives me anything other than a conveinant & reliable pocket BUG, when desired.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

I gotta get a couple boxes of 25 to test mine. But my mom had it right now, along with some other small "easy" guns
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

You forgot to mention how God awful the sights are, at least on the Tomcat.

Site? What site?
    These are up close & personal point-and-shoot guns.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by DV8r View Post
    Site? What site?
    no doubt.
    i have a couple of 22mag 2-shot derringers from high standard. I'd count on them to suck up close and personal, but the sights are about useless at more than 15 feet. as in the 2 barrels will fire a couple of inches in different directions from point of aim. Can't do anything for "sights" like that. they're fixed and awful.

The very short sight radius that you get with many of these guns gives you basically a flash sight picture and not much else. IF they're able to be aligned and IF you have all the time in the world to line up a shot, they'll be fine... but that's a lot of IF.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Glad to see you finally found one somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by DV8r View Post
    Site? What site?
    good sights like from a kahr or sig p238 would not hurt performance, and would help in practice. Proper form, with real sights, repeated pratice can only help your speed if you ever use it in real life situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    good sights like from a kahr or sig p238 would not hurt performance, and would help in practice. Proper form, with real sights, repeated pratice can only help your speed if you ever use it in real life situation.
    Exactly. As the sights are, I guess to practice, you stand 3 feet in front of a silhouette target and point and shoot.