Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MGO Board of Directors

My dad was an interesting character, with a checked past.
    He started teaching me to pick and crack various locks when my age was still single digits. He took many of them apart to show me how they worked.
    He never got formal training until after he retired.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    I totally agree about cheap safes keeping kids out, but for people looking for security:

Even most "good safes" we buy are rated RSC (residential security containers), and all they have to do is withstand 5 minutes of attack with common burglar tools (prybar/punches...)

If you want secure, then you need a TL15 safe at a minimum. The safe is constructed of a minimum of 1" steel equivilent. This means a professional with proper tools (grinders/drills...) will take a minimum of 15 minutes to get in. This is 15 minutes with the tool on the safe, any time they are not actively attacking the safe (switch tools, changing blades, thinking what to do... is not counted. This is also by safe busting engineers who have access to the safe's blueprints and can disassemble the safe prior to the test to look for weaknesses. I consider a TL30 (30 minutes, not 15) a good compromise on weight, protection and cost.

The sad part is a real safe TL30 is not that much more expensive than the crappy gunsafes we buy. A nice browning/amsec/liberty is $3-4K, A TL 30 used (plenty of them around) can be had in the same price range.

I never understood why someone would try to protect 10-20k in guns with a $300 cheap steel box.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by elwarpo View Post
    I totally agree about cheap safes keeping kids out, but for people looking for security:

Even most "good safes" we buy are rated RSC (residential security containers), and all they have to do is withstand 5 minutes of attack with common burglar tools (prybar/punches...)

If you want secure, then you need a TL15 safe at a minimum. The safe is constructed of a minimum of 1" steel equivilent. This means a professional with proper tools (grinders/drills...) will take a minimum of 15 minutes to get in. This is 15 minutes with the tool on the safe, any time they are not actively attacking the safe (switch tools, changing blades, thinking what to do... is not counted. This is also by safe busting engineers who have access to the safe's blueprints and can disassemble the safe prior to the test to look for weaknesses. I consider a TL30 (30 minutes, not 15) a good compromise on weight, protection and cost.

The sad part is a real safe TL30 is not that much more expensive than the crappy gunsafes we buy. A nice browning/amsec/liberty is $3-4K, A TL 30 used (plenty of them around) can be had in the same price range.

I never understood why someone would try to protect 10-20k in guns with a $300 cheap steel box.
    Because we have a LAW against taking things that don't belong to you & police to enforce those laws.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Because we have a LAW against taking things that don't belong to you & police to enforce those laws.
    Shouldn't that be in purple for sarcasm?

I am a Forum User
    But it's a TRUE statement.

Sarcasm? From Leader? No way.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

do you have a link to a couple safes like the one you are speaking of ?

A safe / Lock only keeps the Honest Honest and NOTHING will stop the criminals from stealing , as far as keeping kids away from our firearms we need to do better education of firearms with the kids and not just let them be uninformed of the dangers and teach them safety and respect for the firearms .

I suspect you are far more likely to lose your guns to fire than theft. On the theft score, the majority of those are in-and-out and generally don't have the tools or knowledge to open anything in the "safe" category (something with locking pins and a hefty door).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12