Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

Removing parkerized finish

Hi Guys

Anyone found a way to remove parkerized finish from parts short of sandy blasting or beading? Like to keep all markings intact.

I am a Forum User
    Try white vinegar?

What are you doing with it afterwards? Parkerizing is a great base for paint.
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    Ditto
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Agree you can’t really remove it without blasting. Blasting will not remove the markings unless they are lightly lasered on. Bare metal will rust fast. You can acetone soak the parkerized part and apply Durakote, KG gunkote or Brownells Alumicote yourself or have it Cerakoted. If it’s just a stripped slide I’ll do it for $35 in the color of your choice. $75 for the slide and frame if stripped.

MGO Member
    Not really sure as its a Colt 1911 frame from 1915, no rebuilt marks or even inspections ones as well so someone must have taken it home. Right now it has some parking that feels like almost the powder from printer cartridges. Most of the US Colts from that time frame were blued but if I get it blued right it will be costly getting correct parts for it. Maybe I get it the gray zinc finish and fix it up as a shooter. Still think

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod1084.aspx Parkerizing uses phosphoric acid to etch and deposit zinc or manganese. An acid will loosen it up but will also slightly etch the steel some more. Try brownells steel white diluted with water and heated up like you were parkerizing it. Might have to brush it with a nylon brush to help remove the old parkerizing. I bought some of those norinco M14 mags back in the early 90's. It irked me that they were light gray and not dark like the orignals. They worked great through. I tired cold blue on one and it worked great. Looked darker and out of lazyness I dropped the floorplate of next one in a ziplock and dumped in a bottle of cold blue. I left it on for too long and when I took it out it was darker, but most of the parkerized surface wiped off. I spray painted that floorplate and figured the next time I was parkerizing with manganese I'd throw it in. It's been about 25 years now and I still haven't done it.

MGO Member
    Thanks, will try this out on some scrap part first.