Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New LCP

New LCP

Took my new LCP to the range for the 1st time after a good cleaning and lube. It refused to chamber the 1st 2-3 rounds without rapping the back of the slide.I put 100 rounds through it with no change. The mag was also very hard to seat with 6 rounds even with an empty chamber. With 5 rounds, the mag seated fairly easy and the 1st round chambered fine. Ruger service is sending a new mag as that is what they think is the problem. Anyone else have this problem? Also, I have seen posts where people shorten the mag spring by one coil making the mag function. Any thoughts?

I am a Forum User
    Its something simple..maybe a weak recoil spring?...I bought a LCP when they first hit the shops years ago and I don't believe it's ever choked, in several thousand rounds, still the original recoil spring also. My wife carries it and shoots it well now and wouldn't ever sell it. LCP mags are plentiful and if you don't like waiting for one from Ruger..call around, bet you find one quick. My brother also bought one the same week and his has been a good one also. Wolff makes springs in different weights if you want to fiddle with it. These LCPs in our family are gen1 versions, no idea about the newer ones.

Thanks. I have 2 on order that should be here in a couple days plus the replacement from Ruger.

When I first got mine, it would feed FMJ without issue. Tried using Hornady & it had a hard time with it. Guy at the range suggested POWERBALL ammo. Great stuff. Have had no issues since.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I was using ball ammo.

I am a Forum User
    Definitely sounds mag related to me if problems went away with one round stripped out of it. Sometimes you just get mags like that. Even though they say x round capacity they really only hold or function well with x-1 rounds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ive shot LCPs a lot, and haven't had that issue.
    There is a little break-in required, but I agree with others, its probably the magazine.

Mine had a difficult time seating on a closed slide with a full mag also.

Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    Ive shot LCPs a lot, and haven't had that issue.
    There is a little break-in required, but I agree with others, its probably the magazine.

Mine had a difficult time seating on a closed slide with a full mag also.
    I've never had a break in period with any of my LCP's.

I've had 3 standard LCP's, an LCP Custom, and an LCP2.

Everything worked fine except for the LCP Custom, that was a pile of crap and had to be fixed by Ruger after only 50 rounds down range.

Quote Originally Posted by somecrazygreek View Post
    I've never had a break in period with any of my LCP's.

I've had 3 standard LCP's, an LCP Custom, and an LCP2.

Everything worked fine except for the LCP Custom, that was a pile of crap and had to be fixed by Ruger after only 50 rounds down range.
    I mean it only as a reliability test. They seem to shoot smoother after 100 rounds also.
    Just my own rule for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    I mean it only as a reliability test. They seem to shoot smoother after 100 rounds also.
    Just my own rule for myself.
    Oh! Okay. Usually when I hear "break in" it's someone saying you have to shoot a few hundred rounds before your weapon functions correctly.

99% of new guns should function perfectly out if box or there's a problem with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast