Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Guns in fiction writing

I do a lot of reading and hate it when the author screws up when he's talking about what guns characters use. The only one who really knows his stuff is Stephen Hunter. I was in Barnes & Noble the other day in the Transportation section looking at a book on the history of Triumph motorcycles when I noticed this book on the next shelf. Writers have no excuse now!
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...781599638157#/

I am a Forum User
    Don Pendleton's "The Executioner" was very good, with regard to the guns.
    Surprisingly, Glenn Beck's "The Overton Window" started out with some really
    bad gun flaws, almost to the point of not reading it.

Joe

MGO Board of Directors

Try, Larry Correia, or Michael Z. Williamson.
    Both like and know guns.
    Baen.com
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CyborgHunter View Post
    Try, Larry Correia, or Michael Z. Williamson.
    Both like and know guns.
    Baen.com
    I was just going to suggest these two. It is also worth noting that Larry has put on writing workshops on weapons and how authors can realistically portray them.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

I am a Forum User
    Lot of authors get it right..
    there seems to be a lot of ex-Navy Seals, & other Special Ops forces,
    (Delta, Green Beret, etc..) that have taken up writing.
    Brad Taylor, Jack Coughlin, Stephen Hunter, Ben Coes, Vince Flynn, those that come from a military background
    do a good job, discussing tactics as well.

Just finished first novel by Jack Carr , (ex- Seal) "The Terminal List"
    it's a good "revenge" story..
    Last edited by joepistol; 05-20-2018 at 05:52 PM.

MGO Member
    I was all about the first Lee Child book of Jack Reacher until he had Jack put a Desert Eagle with a 14" bbl in his pocket... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    I was just going to suggest these two. It is also worth noting that Larry has put on writing workshops on weapons and how authors can realistically portray them.
    Larry Correia is a former accountant, gun store owner, CPL instructor, and 3 gun shooter, who now makes tons of money as an author. He has made enough money from his books that he just bought a mountain in Utah. Yes, a mountain. He recently posted pictures of his partially completed pistol range with 12' berms on three sides.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Divegeek View Post
    Larry Correia is a former accountant, gun store owner, CPL instructor, and 3 gun shooter, who now makes tons of money as an author. He has made enough money from his books that he just bought a mountain in Utah. Yes, a mountain. He recently posted pictures of his partially completed pistol range with 12' berms on three sides.
    No doubt. I have been reading his stuff since before he was published.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

holy crap i gotta start writing...
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    I picked up the book in the OP. It's a pretty good reference guide for anyone that wants to write novels or scripts. It covers so much more than just gun and knife types and ammo. It delves into some of the laws concerning carry and self defense, even basic ballistics. He identifies so many of the common flaws we educated firearm owners pick at in movies and T.V. Not being much of a knife guy, I found the sections where the author discussed sheaths, sharpening, etc., to be very informative.

A great pick for not a bad price of $20.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast