Good news-you can get your .308 MAS running with little work and treasure. A few areas overlooked by Century need to be addressed:

1)Recoil spring. For reasons unknown, the recoil spring was shortened. In conjunction with the shortened gas tube, the action of recoil is quite violent. The
recoil spring can be replaced with an original (new) spring available from Gunparts, Inc for $7.95.

2)Extractor. The extractor is set up for the 7.5 MAS round with a larger rim diameter than the 7.62N/.308. This is why the extractor tends to rip the rims off the .308 rounds. The extractor can be modified to provide a better grip on the .308 case:
Name:  ZURUuEfl.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  32.6 KB

File carefully, reinstall the extractor and test by placing the .308 under the extractor, visually inspect and give it a little shake. The .308 case should be held by the extractor.

3) Gas valve. As stated above, the gas system of the MAS49/56 is seriously over gassed for reliability under adverse conditions. Member Starmetal on Gunboards.com offers an adjustable gas valve that is a simple replacement for the original for $38 shipped. I liked mine so well that I ordered one for my 7.5 version. I now don't bother shooters 25 feet down the shooting line!

4)Improved trigger pull. An easy and fully reversible way to improve the trigger pull weight on the French FSA:
Take out the trigger assembly from the stock by removing the screw located at the back of the trigger guard.
Notice the lay of the trigger spring, its two "legs are resting on the flat cut on the bar of the safety lever.
Pull gently the safety lever out of the trigger housing until the left leg of the spring can be dropped from the safety lever to the bottom of the housing.
Push the safety lever back in place..
Re-install the trigger assembly into the stock.
You now have a lighter trigger pull!

If the above is more than you care to do, I've had several owners tell me that their problem rifles run great with steel case ammo. The extractor is much less likely to tear the rims off a steel case. They don't seem to expand as much in the chamber. If you run into other problems, post them up and I'll be glad to help.