Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

ar pistol barrel length

I am planning to build a AR pistol in the not to distant future and I am wondering how long of a barrel I can put on it.
    Russ

I am a Forum User
    10.5" with a pistol buffer tube and removable flash hider sneaks in under 26"OAL.

I am a Forum User
    10.5 will also keep it just under 26” to the end of the barrel when using a SBPDW or SBA3 arm brace.

I am a Forum User
    The brace isn't part of the measurement. End of barrel to end of buffer tube. The shortest operable configuration.

I am a Forum User
    If you are ever in the position of being questioned, are they going to let you take off a muzzle device or brace before measuring?

I am a Forum User
    10.5 seems to be the sweet spot

both of my ar15 pistols have 7.5 barrels on them

If i did it all over again, id go 10.5......but there is nothing wrong with 7.5. Its a tiny package that can fit into just about any case!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HighLiner View Post
    If you are ever in the position of being questioned, are they going to let you take off a muzzle device or brace before measuring?
    Depends who is wanting to measure. I cut a A2 flash hider down and installed it on a 10.5" barrel and pushed the Shockwave brace all the way forward

will everything attached it's 25 15/16" OAL

The local MDNR wanted to see a CPL for Open Carrying a revolver during firearm deer season a couple years ago.

The OC'er was a neighbor

I am a Forum User
    hi all -
    Why not go into the gray area of "firearm" (as a category).
    If barrel is under 16" BUT overall length is over 26", it then becomes a firearm, neither a rifle/SBR nor a pistol.
    Any 10.5" barrel with a Midwest Industries pistol buffer tube (slightly extended) will put you just over the 26" and then you don't have to worry about handgun registration.
    However, if the objective is to carry it loaded in the car for example, or on your person (as a "pistol") then yes, keep it under 26"

There are some advantages and disadvantages to both (since Michigan reduced its pistol length from 30" to 26" a few years ago)

I moved into the state just after the change, so please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this info. I have researched the "firearm" classification a fair bit and feel pretty confident in the above info, but I'm not a lawyer, verify for yourself, know the law.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by hunterspirit View Post
    I cut a A2 flash hider down and installed it on a 10.5" barrel and pushed the Shockwave brace all the way forward

will everything attached it's 25 15/16" OAL
    What other options are there for a minimalist flash hider (for lack of a better term)?
    Not that my, SB Tactical SOB Pistol Brace, would let me get under 26", even with nothing on the end of the barrel.

I'm wondering if a barrel thread protector and shorter brace might bring it under 26" and thus avoid those expensive legal fees.
    Last edited by CyborgHunter; 06-14-2018 at 08:46 PM.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Again, unless the FH is welded or permanently pinned, it is not part of the measurement for OAL.
    Buffer tube to barrel crown.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast