Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelk View Post
    I have never seen the definition of how to measure barrel length officially published for MI. The ATF does publish the procedure they use but it is not coded into law either.
    Michigan has nothing that is codified in MCL. The Feds have the CFR 479.11 which is what they base things on, and it IS LAW:

For purposes of this definition, the length of the barrel having an integral chamber(s) on a shotgun or rifle shall be determined by measuring the distance between the muzzle and the face of the bolt, breech, or breech block when closed and when the shotgun or rifle is cocked.
    In that they use the word "muzzle", but have graciously included permanently attached muzzle devices into the length of the barrel. I would have to go looking for it, but they also define what constitutes "permanent"

MI does deviate from the ATF method by using the collapsed stock length (per an MI AG ruling) to define if it needs to be registered as a pistol which is different than the ATF which uses the fully extended length.
    That was just a "whim" of AG Frank Kelley in Opinion #6820. He was trying to balance out our laws with a 30" OAL with the Federal CFR of "extreme ends" and a 26" minimum. The opinion that he came up with allowed us to own a wider range of firearms, yet still maintain the concept of an illegal SBR (at that time they were illegal in Michigan). What the Feds use is this:
    The overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore.
    Except in one of the ATF "guides" they used the word muzzle, which is not supported in law and is most likely by error of some clerk trying to make it more readable.

It has been reported that the MI State Police use the ATF method for measuring barrel length (without removable muzzle device) but there is nothing officially published that I have seen.
    There is nothing published, but several people have asked the MSP and they get a "less non-permanent attached muzzle devices" answer, which is based in law for barrel length. Yet, they apply the same process to OAL, which is different, than barrel length. Only a portion of barrel length is counted into the OAL of most firearms and should include any muzzle device, the rest is internal to what ever stock is used.

Maybe one of the FFL people here can provide some insight as they might have some info or guidance on how MI wants this measurement taken.
    And FFL is a Federal Licensee not a goto for Michigan law, you will get as many answers as there are LEOs, Lawyers, or Representatives and Senators.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Yes from the end of the brace collapsed to the receiver end plate, just like you asked.
    Wooo...hooo..!
    Ordered. Well, back ordered actually.
    Green stamps for you.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

Maybe one of the FFL people here can provide some insight as they might have some info or guidance on how MI wants this measurement taken.
    I have an FFL. It's my second.
    I got my first, way back in the '80s.
    So, I know everything!
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    The mini brake from brownels and a kak blade on a pistol tube will put you well under 26" oal.
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod56085.aspx

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by sadaddy View Post
    The mini brake from brownels and a kak blade on a pistol tube will put you well under 26" oal.
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod56085.aspx
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I've already cut off an A2 FH, and ordered an SBA3 from Brownells (back ordered).
    That setup will keep me just under 26" with the brace collapsed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234