Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Buying old HunterTown silencers now?

I recently saw the short 3oz huntertown .22 silencer on a store shelf for $130 plus tax. The store also had Huntertown's .45 silencer for ~250. Given that there are no shipping charges, additional transfer fees added on, just tax and tax, those seem like incredible deals.
    However
    They're still cans from Huntertown. They were known for bad customer service when they were still in business, and now that they're out of business I don't expect there could be anything at all done if there were any problems with the silencers.
    Is it worth taking a risk and buying them when places like capitalarmory will sell good "package" deals from MUCH better manufacturers every other month or so? (e.g. You can get a silencerco warlock II .22 for $100 with the purchase of any other NFA item right now, but the warlock ii isn't a short can.)
    If it wasn't for that great deal on a cheap short .22 silencer I probably wouldn't even be considering it, but I want a shorter one for pistols...
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User

Huntertown is out of business aren’t they?

I wouldn’t buy their stuff at this point.

Technically some other nfa mfg could fix issues but they would have no incentive to do so.

I am a Forum User

See above combined response
    Last edited by rjrivero; 05-21-2018 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Combined response above

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    ...They were known for bad customer service when they were still in business, and now that they're out of business I don't expect there could be anything at all done if there were any problems with the silencers....
    confirmed
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    confirmed
    Random thoughts and fat thumbs. Sorry bout that!

If you intend on becoming a manufacturer at any point in life, then you could recore it as a manufacturer yourself...You've mentioned getting an FFL before.

Or, like Rj said, a savvy manufacturer that's willing to slap new baffles in it could do it for a fee...

If you have to service it, beyond regular maintenance, then that sort of negates the initial cost savings IMO.

MGO Member
    I just saw the larger rimfire one for $90/shipped. I have the same one & it's been great & I paid $170
    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson