Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Bedside Biometric Handgun Safe?

Hello all. Had a home invasion 6-7 months ago and would like to get a bedside safe that I can biometric to both my wife and I. Seen several in the stores but they all seem cheaply made but expensive and certainly don't work very smoothly. Seems like nonsense to have a safe that's finicky when you need to be able to get into it in an emergency. Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks!

Get a big dog for your first line of defense. This will give you the time needed to get the proper tool in your hand.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Specific model you have experience with?

Name:  Rottweiler_standing_facing_left.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  97.8 KB
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Look for a box that has a Simplex lock. It can still be opened very quickly, and with moisture/ blood on your hand, and doesn't deny enterance if you place your finger the wrong way (I had a few devices that used biometrics when I worked for the .gov, and they were finnicky as hell). A good Simplex lock will let you 'program' it with multiple simultaneous or single button presses, with as few or as many keystrokes as you want (up to the number of buttons).

Fort Knox is a company that makes them. So does Tuffy.

Pretty good thread we had last year here. https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...t=Handgun+safe

I went with a Simplex V-line Brute. I'm quite pleased with my choice.
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    Look for a box that has a Simplex lock. It can still be opened very quickly, and with moisture/ blood on your hand, and doesn't deny enterance if you place your finger the wrong way (I had a few devices that used biometrics when I worked for the .gov, and they were finnicky as hell). A good Simplex lock will let you 'program' it with multiple simultaneous or single button presses, with as few or as many keystrokes as you want (up to the number of buttons).

Fort Knox is a company that makes them. So does Tuffy.

This is exactly right!!! I have the Fort Knox PB-1 (Pistol Box 1) and couldn't be happier. It's the one on the right in the picture from Fuel above.
    It is deep enough, and has a middle layer of foam, that you can keep two layers of pistols in there (2 on each layer). I currently have a 1911 and a revolver, with extra mags and speedloaders ready to go.

Also, the VAST majority of the "biometric type" pistol safes are very cheap and easily defeated -- there's a great video of a 4 yr old boy breaking into a variety of these by either dropping them, shoving in a screwdriver or paperclip, etc. THAT VIDEO ALONE convinced me to get something with a simplex/kaba lock.

I am a Forum User
    I should add to my post above that I can keep a flashlight and a knife in there, easily accessible, in addition to the gun(s).
    The only thing I would add at this point is some kind of OC spray

Also, the Fort Knox pistol boxes can be bolted down quite easily (with a carriage bolt, or a cable if you'd rather), and are great for keeping unauthorized users away. A teenager with time on their hands could figure out the combo, but it would take a lot of trial and error. There are five buttons, but the combo can include buttons being pressed at the same time, which adds a layer of complication. A thief could even just take the whole box and run away too, but in my case it is to keep little curious hands away from my guns, and it is perfect.
    The box by itself weighs near 30 lbs, but it is not a replacement for a full-size safe. It IS a good compromise of protection and accessibility.

Also, I know some people that have bolted these into their vehicles and they use it not only for guns. No smash-n-grab car thief is going to try to pry this thing off if it's bolted to your car frame.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Agree w100% with the sentiment above-skip the bio-crap locks and get a quality safe and lock that you can punch the code in, likey faster than the bio works and you and your wife will be protected and the guns inside will be safe.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca