Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYTROOPER View Post
    OK, I MUST ADMIT i PAID CMP $1,050 and received a 1911A1. It is a Colt A1 based on serial number, made in1945 and has the ordnance final inspection mark of John S. Begley, J.S.B. I am of mixed feeling about it however. Its service grade and has been completely rebuild, has a great trigger pull, is solid with little slide play and the frame marking are still sharp and outstanding. The barrel is an HS and looks new and the other parts are fine.

The cons are it is refinished. it a great refinish and if my memory serves me right has the same refinish that the 45s we were passing out to the Arvins in 65 but I was a bit disappointed ii did not show some honest wear.

The other con is the slide. Its a post war replacement that was made under govt contract by San Col Mar Industries. Some collectors tell the slide is a rarity by itself as very few were made by this company but I would much rather got a Colt. Means I will have to find the Colt slide I have somewhere and possibility find someone who can match the parking on the frame.

Now I have to decide whether to keep it or swap with a collector friend for another 1911 plus.
    My number is in the mid 3 thousands, should be getting the call abound the end of April. Sounds like you got a great 1911. If you want to “correct it” I believe some guys have started a 1911 parts exchange thread on the CMP forum. If your replacement slide is desirable, you shouldn’t have any problem finding somebody to trade you for a Colt slide. Most of the guns were refinished at Anniston so you might even get a nice matching finish. I’m a High Standard fan, if I end up with an out of place Colt barrel, I may be willing to swap with you.

Congrats on a nice 1911,
    Mike.

I was going to apply to get one, I guess I’ll just have to find new parts for my Remington rand 1911 frame that I got complete with a colt ace conversion for $500 last year. Will still be cheaper than the cheapest grade they offered and requires much less hoops to go through

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlxlvr View Post
    I was going to apply to get one, I guess I’ll just have to find new parts for my Remington rand 1911 frame that I got complete with a colt ace conversion for $500 last year. Will still be cheaper than the cheapest grade they offered and requires much less hoops to go through
    attaboy. e-sarco has a bunch of parts right now too

I saw the sarco parts but they all appear to be aftermarket. Waiting for a decent slide to show up on eBay

MGO Member

CMP 1911A1

Here are some pictures of the 1911A1 I received from CMP. Its a late 1945 Colt but it came with the post war San Col Mar Ind slide. The barrel was a HS in excellent condition. I happened to have a Colt and some Remington slides and the Colt matches the received pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am a Forum User
    Picked up mine last weekend. Couldn’t be happier with it. Condition is beautiful and I’m pretty sure it’s original finish. Everything is Remington except the mainspring housing (Colt/Ithaca), barrel (Colt), and hammer (Ithaca).

https://imgur.com/a/FN05OGJ

I am a Forum User
    FYI the CMP is now prohibiting resale of "their" 1911s. Lol, the balls on those guys...
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-from-program/

I picked up my 1911a1 today. Service grade. Remington Rand frame 1944, Colt slide, High Standard Barrel. Tight action much better than the one I qualified with in 1980. I'm happy with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am a Forum User
    Was anyone honestly expecting an all original, non-rebuilt pistol after all the years these guns had been in storage. Anyone that deals with milsurps of any type, knows that is a rarity. Mostly all of these weapons will have gotten re-arsenaled at least once in their lifetime, maybe more depending on usage. Everyone once to buy a piece of history, maybe a piece of their own past for a memento. You step up to the counter and lay down your money, because you want too. No refund or do-overs if you have buyers regret. I shot .45's in the early 80's army, they shook and rattled then. Nothing that I would pay CMP prices for.

Quote Originally Posted by shuvelrider View Post
    Was anyone honestly expecting an all original, non-rebuilt pistol after all the years these guns had been in storage.
    Nope

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast