Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Would You Hire A Professional Gun Cleaner To Come To Your Home?

Stephen Gutowski over at Washington Free Beacon hired a professional gun cleaner who drove to his home and cleaned up his gun collection:

http://freebeacon.com/culture/profes...l-might-think/

Having a Professional Drive to Your Home and Clean Your Guns Is More Practical Than You Might Think
    Review: High Caliber Weapons Detailing is like a food truck but for guns
    Stephen Gutowski - May 27, 2018 5:00 am

When I first heard about the concept of having somebody come to my home to clean my guns, I thought, "Well, that's a nice idea for rich folks with more guns than time." But when High Caliber Weapons Detailing showed up to my apartment, I realized there's a lot more to it than that.

I'm not necessarily a man who hates cleaning his guns. I absolutely love the smell of Hoppe's 9. My BoreSnakes and Rem Cloth keep my guns in good shape with a nice sheen between deep cleans.

Like any honest gun owner, however, I can admit that I don't do a deep clean of all my guns as often as I would like. If I'm being completely honest, I've never stiped my Ruger 10/22 or my Remington 870 Express to do a deep clean. And, like most gun owners, I've had my guns get dirty enough to affect their function.

So, when High Caliber agreed to come out and show me how they work for this review, I figured why not? It might not be something I'd pay for on my own but at the very least I'll get my guns cleaned, and I won't even have to leave my apartment. After going through their process, I realized it's actually a service I can recommend not just for the wealthy or lazy gun owner but also for people like me who fall somewhere in the middle of those two scales.

High Caliber doesn't just do the kind of deep clean that I could accomplish on my own with some patches and some Rem Oil. Instead, they're able to achieve a kind of cleaning I could never dream of doing with my own two hands on my coffee table. It's a truly professional operation with professional-grade tools that delivers a professional-grade clean.

They had every cleaning implement you can imagine, from Swab-its to star chamber scrubbers to bolt scrapers. And, best of all, they had a seven-gallon Crest Ultrasonic machine. They knew how to strip every one of my guns down to their base components. They knew which firearms finishes should be cleaned with which solvents. They knew how to reassemble everything back into perfect working order.

I was honestly impressed by how clean everything came out. My guns, many of which had thousands of rounds through them, looked brand new.

My AR-15's bolt was spotless, which was particularly impressive since I'd never fully stripped it to be cleaned before, preferring instead to simply dunk the whole thing into some solvent. When High Caliber Weapons stripped my bolt, it wasn't pretty. But it was once they got done with it.

When I tested them at the range, some of the guns performed noticeably better. The .22s were particularly refreshed, which makes sense since they tend to get pretty dirty.
    Don't miss the photos of the High Caliber Weapons Detailing service truck at the WFB hyperlink, above. Nice set up.

If this business can thrive in the anti-gun Washington, DC area, it should be a slam dunk in pro-gun areas. But you have to wonder what the killjoys at the BATFE have to say about this new service. Having seen several of their service firearms, they might want to hire High Caliber Weapons Detailing!
    Last edited by 10x25mm; 05-27-2018 at 06:08 AM.

Very interesting buisiness model...

I am a Forum User
    Dumb...jmho

weird niche, unless you had a bunch of guns, that were all not cleaned the trip cost of a pro is too much. Either he has to charge a ton, or will go out of business.

All these crazy business ideas where you pay someone to come to your house and they charge the same as if you came to them are crazy. Unsustainable.

He should set up shop in different gun shops and come by once a week, that would work.

Or you drop off a pile of guns and go back and get them in a couple of days, that would work.

I am a Forum User
    No.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    weird niche, unless you had a bunch of guns, that were all not cleaned the trip cost of a pro is too much. Either he has to charge a ton, or will go out of business.

All these crazy business ideas where you pay someone to come to your house and they charge the same as if you came to them are crazy. Unsustainable.

He should set up shop in different gun shops and come by once a week, that would work.

Or you drop off a pile of guns and go back and get them in a couple of days, that would work.
    maybe by being mobile and coming to you he avoids the regulations that mike life tough in anti-gun places. If you leave them with him, he'd probably need an FFL and there would be a whole lot of paperwork and record keeping. setting up at a gunsmith might work too, but how many of those are there in places like DC? and would he have to become an "employee" of the gun shop for legal purposes?
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Seriously? No.
    Formerly Known As RevDerb since 2008 with 9,457 posts.
    VietNam era vet (USN - CTT2, USNR - CTT3), NRA Life Member, NRA Certified RSO, SAF, GOA.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    http://revderb.blogspot.com John 5:24 <><

I am a Forum User
    It would solely depend on whether it was a traditional cleaning or sonic cleaning. If it was sonic cleaning and one had a large collection it could be worth the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradw3451 View Post
    It would solely depend on whether it was a traditional cleaning or sonic cleaning. If it was sonic cleaning and one had a large collection it could be worth the cost.
    The guy in the article has a 7gal sonic cleaner...so they have that ability.

I would pay to have someone strip, clean and reassemble my Ruger mark II. I can disassemble, and clean, but getting it back together........
    "A warped mind is a terrible thing to waste"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast