Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you can make it comfortable and avoid the ND, it is a great carry position. I carried for years in that position with an HK P7. That is a very safe gun to carry there and I never had any worries about it.

One big advantage is that you can bend forward without fear of printing. That is not generally true for 3:30-4:00 carry on the belt.

I am a Forum User
    I have just started with a Glock 19. Not too bad. I think a good holster is key. I bought a cheaper one (40$) and am still on the fence. It has a claw but it isn't adjustable and it needs to come up just a hair higher so I may customize that. I also plan to do the Dr Scholl's shoe insert wedge mod to make it print less. That is the main problem it prints a bit more with the 19 than I would like with just a touch shirt. As far as comfortability it isn't bad at all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by trucker3573 View Post
    I have just started with a Glock 19. Not too bad. I think a good holster is key. I bought a cheaper one (40$) and am still on the fence. It has a claw but it isn't adjustable and it needs to come up just a hair higher so I may customize that. I also plan to do the Dr Scholl's shoe insert wedge mod to make it print less. That is the main problem it prints a bit more with the 19 than I would like with just a touch shirt. As far as comfortability it isn't bad at all.

Dr. Scholls?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwade78 View Post
    Dr. Scholls?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Yeah it is on YouTube. You buy the gel shoe inserts and cut them and Velcro it on the side of the holster against your body. Near the bottom of the holster. It tips the gun back towards your body.

I am a Forum User
    I carry a G17 AIWB and strongly prefer it over every other method that I've tried. I start off carrying "pocket" guns and subcompacts/compacts in a traditional 3 o'clock IWB, and never found it exceptionally comfortable or easy to keep concealed in lighter clothes. It might sound weird, but it's easier for me to carry a G17 and light at 12 AIWB than a G26 at 3 o'clock.

The advantages are it's much easier to conceal anything, especially larger guns. It's more comfortable and more accessible while sitting or driving. You don't have anything hanging off your hip to bump into walls or press up against your seat. It's easier to retain and protect in a struggle. It is faster and easier to draw.

The main disadvantage is it's very unforgiving when it comes to safe handling. If you have a negligent discharge carrying at 3 you might graze your leg or give yourself a shallow through-and-through down the length of it. If you ND while carrying appendix you can easily hit a major artery and/or shoot yourself in the genitals. You also have to be careful when driving, as putting your seat belt over your holster can cause serious internal injuries should you get into a car crash.

These risks can be mitigated by holstering your weapon slowly and carefully, making sure to check your holster for obstructions like loose clothing before inserting your pistol, or preferably, removing your holster, inserting the pistol, and putting the holster back on. In the car, put your seat belt in between your holster and your body.

Appendix is probably the best way to carry a pistol concealed, but you absolutely need to be more careful and aware of what you're doing to do it safely.

OK, here's a silly question: Does a holster need to be made specifically for AIWB, or can I use any IWB holster in the AIWB mode? Logic tells me the holster should be specifically constructed for use, but my logic has failed me in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    OK, here's a silly question: Does a holster need to be made specifically for AIWB, or can I use any IWB holster in the AIWB mode? Logic tells me the holster should be specifically constructed for use, but my logic has failed me in the past.

Yes and no.

I use my cozy partner as AIWB every now and then, and it works (conceals) ok. But the purpose built T5 I have with a claw and wedge conceals a much larger pistol with an extra mag much better.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    Some holsters can be used for AIWB, but they won't be ideal. A normal IWB holster intended for strongside carry won't have a claw, wedge, or anything else to tuck the grip into your body, and it will probably have excess material that pokes you as you move. A purpose-built AIWB effectively holds the grip of your pistol close to you and has a small footprint so you aren't being poked as you bend, turn, etc.

I am a Forum User
    I'm sure there are statistics, research, and hundreds of first-hand accounts of AIWB being better for a variety of reasons, but I doubt I'll ever try it due to the risk (albeit minute) of an AD occurring while the firearm is pointed toward the crown jewels.

Just can't do it, bros. But kudos to you brave soles for putting your Koegel on the line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12