Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Board of Directors

SB 1044 of 2018 - Provide certain requirements before individual may rent, lease or loan a firearm

SB 1044 of 2018
    Weapons; firearms; certain requirements before individual may rent, lease, or loan a firearm; provide for. Amends 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.421 - 28.435) by adding sec. 2c.
    Last Action: 6/6/2018 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Bloomberg is turning his attention to MI

I am a Forum User
    The primary distinction between Republican Senator Rick Jones' version of rental control legislation and Democratic Representative Robert Wittenberg's HB 5933 is that Sen. Jones would not require a NICS check or CPL under two circumstances:

(a) The individual possesses the firearm for the purpose of instruction in the safe use of a firearm during a gun safety or training class, and the individual is under the direct supervision of the instructor of that gun safety or training class.

(b) The individual is under the direct supervision of a range master for the duration that individual is renting, leasing, or borrowing a firearm at the target range or shooting facility.
    The Wittenberg bill clearly ends youth shooting and hunter safety programs. The Jones bill probably does not.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    The primary distinction between Republican Senator Rick Jones' version of rental control legislation and Democratic Representative Robert Wittenberg's HB 5933 is that Sen. Jones would not require a NICS check or CPL under two circumstances:

The Wittenberg bill clearly ends youth shooting and hunter safety programs. The Jones bill probably does not.
    yeah, 2b looks like a pretty good exemption for safety/training as long as somebody on the range is acting as range master. It would be interesting to see if there is a legal definition for that though... and a definition of what "direct supervision" is.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    yeah, 2b looks like a pretty good exemption for safety/training as long as somebody on the range is acting as range master. It would be interesting to see if there is a legal definition for that though... and a definition of what "direct supervision" is.
    Yeah, back when I taught scuba lessons, I had rules set by my training agency about "direct supervision" and how many people I could "supervise" at one time. I see nothing here about that. Without a clarification, I could see it being read as one on one supervision by a particularly strict PA if something ever happened if this bill ever passed.