Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Looking for a firearm appraiser.

I recently took possession of some older firearms from the estate of a family friend and, for insurance purposes, would like to have them evaluated by an expert. Anyone like that in the Kalamazoo/SW Michigan area?

I am a Forum User
    I have been a distant observer in these situations before and learned this. If you suspect or believe the collection contains historic pieces such as old Colts, Winchesters, Ballards, Hepburns, Sharps etc etc then by all means contact one of the specialty auction firms like Amoskeag or other similarly qualified firms that deal with this class of firearms . A couple of photos and some narrative and they should be able to point you in the right direction and if valuable enough they may inspect and generate a valuation report for you.

If it looks like you have a collection of let's say post WWII production guns then ask about and locate a very experienced dealer with years of buying and selling. Make it clear that you will compensate for his time, have no interest in selling/trading and expect a ' market value - as is ' and not some compromise between buyers and sellers values. In the meantime buy the latest issue of Gun Values and at least eatablish a ball park. Some people can make the mistake of using some old time gun crank they know who probably forgot more than 95% of today's gunshop operators but these types of appraisals are easily discounted by an insurance company's loss department. Guns like art require a credible evaluation.

Good luck