Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Thompson Center Contender 44 Shot Mag 10" Barrel...

I have a chance to purchase a 44 magnum 10" barrel with what appears to have an internal choke. Can this barrel be shot with standard jacketed or lead 44 mag ammo with the choke in or must I use shotshell ammo only?

I am a Forum User
    Is it rifled?

I am a Forum User
    Sure it's not a .45 long colt?

MGO Board of Directors

I believe mine has the same thing.

Remove it for .44 shooting, replace it to shoot .410 shotgun shells.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post

Not quite.

You can get a Contender barrel in .45 Colt / .410 shotshell. The .44 Hotshot barrel is not the same.

T/C used to load a .44 Mag case with a shot capsule. They looked similar to the CCI shot loads you can buy today. And if you look around, you can still find the shot capsules for reloading.

Most of the Hotshot barrels I've seen had an external choke, which appears to be removable. These barrels would have to be rifled, being less than 18" in length, (and I don't expect T/C wanted to try to educate all of their customers about making and registering an AOW). I would suspect you could shoot regular .44 through this barrel with the choke removed, but I don't have any direct experience with them.

The best (only?) forum I've found for Contender/Encore discussion is Graybeard Outdoors. Someone there should be able to answer for sure.

ETA: looks like you already posted there last week.
    Last edited by GarrettJ; 06-18-2018 at 09:22 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post

.410 shotshells will not fit in a .44. They are meant for the .45/410 barrel.

I am a Forum User
    Seems if it was rifled you could shoot 44 with no choke. If it isn't rifled I suppose you could if you didn't intend on hitting what you are aiming at. I would however make sure you could shoot regular 44 before purchasing otherwise you will have an expensive paperweight err I mean snake gun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk