Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Full time RV travel with silencer or sbr

We are a couple of years away from selling our home and moving into an RV full time. The plan is to travel around the country for a few years. I know I will probably use a mail forwarding service based out of Florida to register as my home. They will give me an actual address to use on anything I need an address for.

So, There are many questions I am wrestling with including storage of the guns in the RV as I travel through various restrictive states. ARs, normal capacity magazines, etc. Thinking about keeping one safe for guns and one for ammo. But then silencers and sbrs get really tough. I know a form is required to move an sbr interstate. But from what I have read, listing a state and all areas in the state is getting those forms rejected. Any ideas? On any of the problems?

Thanks,

Del

I am a Forum User
    How are you planning to secure the firearms in the RV? Are you going with a class A or 5th wheel?

I am a Forum User
    5th wheel. Like I said, as of now, until someone comes up with something better. One safe for the guns, one for the ammo. Both in the bedroom.

I am a Forum User
    The issue becomes having a NFA item in a state that does not allow NFA items. For example, possession of a silencer in California is a felony, no matter how it is stored. Most of the ban states are easy to avoid (west or east coast), Illinois makes it difficult as many highways go through it, and avoiding it is hard.

I am a Forum User
    Yes, I figure I would have to avoid any state that doesn't allow silencers. But the SBR seems like a showstopper. I can't fill out a form for every state I might go to without listing a specific destination. Unless someone has an idea on how to get around that restriction.
    Last edited by brightscouter; 06-13-2018 at 11:35 AM. Reason: grammar

I am a Forum User
    Get a pistol instead of SBR?

I am curious about your plans for a safe, as we're heading towards the exact same path. There isn't much spare room for a safe, and then you have to figure out how to secure it.

I am a Forum User
    Well, I have talked to several dealers that have said they have two options to mount them. Either under the bed and they would probably be able to reinforce the area underneath that area. Mostly because it is the under body storage are in the models we have looked at. Or, actually in the pass through storage underneath. I don't like that idea though. And the thought is one lighter weight long gun safe laid horizontal and one small square safe for the ammo. I won't be able to carry nearly what I have at home. So my kids may be gifted with some ammo before we leave.

MGO Member
    Dad?Dad? Is that You?

From what I have read traveling with a SBR is going to be tough.

Time for another gift.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    You might try asking Shyster in the legal beagle forum-if anyone knows or can find out I’d bet on him.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Yes, travel with an SBR like you want to do is going to be a royal pain. I used to think an SBR would be cool, but now with all the pistol "braces" out there, I really don't see the need for an SBR. An AR "pistol" with a brace can do just about anything an SBR can do and with out the requirement to ask the crown for permission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast