Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Divegeek View Post
    Yes, travel with an SBR like you want to do is going to be a royal pain. I used to think an SBR would be cool, but now with all the pistol "braces" out there, I really don't see the need for an SBR. An AR "pistol" with a brace can do just about anything an SBR can do and with out the requirement to ask the crown for permission.
    With significant savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledhead View Post
    With significant savings.
    And only a slight chance that ATF will change their minds yet again.

If it is an AR SBR. Can you just put a SIG brace on it and call it a Pistol, even though it is an SBR lower?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    If it is an AR SBR. Can you just put a SIG brace on it and call it a Pistol, even though it is an SBR lower?
    No. Once a rifle, always a rifle, never a pistol. It’s a felony to build a pistol from a rifle.

Keep in mind, as long as you don’t stop in any state, theoretically, the FOPA should cover you on possession where it would typically be illegal. But, that means no over night stops; even at Walmart. I wouldn’t even risk a sit down meal. No swinging by for a visit with friends outside of Chicago... And if you break down, that could be an issue. As long as it’s legal at your start point, and your destination, you’re protected. But as I alluded to, some localities get very liberal on their interpretation of “destination”, calling stops incidental to your travel, a “destination”.
    Last edited by DP425; 07-14-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DP425 View Post
    No. Once a rifle, always a rifle, never a pistol. It’s a felony to build a pistol from a rifle.

Keep in mind, as long as you don’t stop in any state, theoretically, the FOPA should cover you on possession where it would typically be illegal. But, that means no over night stops; even at Walmart. I wouldn’t even risk a sit down meal. No swinging by for a visit with friends outside of Chicago... And if you break down, that could be an issue. As long as it’s legal at your start point, and your destination, you’re protected. But as I alluded to, some localities get very liberal on their interpretation of “destination”, calling stops incidental to your travel, a “destination”.
    Hmm, well, I use my SBR lower as a pistol before I received my SBR paperwork. Maybe the OP did the same?

I am a Forum User
    Hmm, well, I use my SBR lower as a pistol before I received my SBR paperwork. Maybe the OP did the same?
    Possible. In which case, that he'd prob be fine, barring ATF's occasional funny business landing in his lap.

Quote Originally Posted by DP425 View Post
    Possible. In which case, that he'd prob be fine, barring ATF's occasional funny business landing in his lap.
    I wouldn’t be so sure. ATF ruling 2011-4 does not say you can go from a pistol to and SBR back to a pistol. The ruling is careful to include “with a barrel >16” in the “held” statements at the bottom, and admonishes you not to make an SBR in the process. While that part is probably just to remind you not to illegally make an SBR, the ruling does not say it’s ok to return an SBR back to a pistol.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I wouldn’t be so sure. ATF ruling 2011-4 does not say you can go from a pistol to and SBR back to a pistol. The ruling is careful to include “with a barrel >16” in the “held” statements at the bottom, and admonishes you not to make an SBR in the process. While that part is probably just to remind you not to illegally make an SBR, the ruling does not say it’s ok to return an SBR back to a pistol.
    That’s why my comment on ATF’s funny business.

That “decision” / “ruling” they have made, wasn’t voluntary. It was the result of a lawsuit brought by Thompson Center. Going back to that lawsuit will give you a better idea of the context... but that doesn’t free you from the ATF’s known creativity when they want to be *****s. Doesn’t mean they’d win in court... but the costs of you loosing usually ensures people typically take a plea.

ATF, COULD attempt the arguement that when you build an SBR on a Form 1, you are in-fact, creating a new firearm. This might even be an arguement that courts agree with... I mean, you are listed as the maker, and your city and state are engraved as manufacture. So in that reguard, it isn’t a pistol temporarily reconfigured into a rifle. It’s a pistol, REMANUFACTURED into an SBR... that would preclude it from ever being a pistol again.

But that all depends on if they can convince a court that the statute would properly infer “remanufacturing” (which doesn’t exist in the statute), the same status as original manufacture. It’s a toss up, since they treat Form 1 items, administratively, as newly manufactured items.
    Last edited by DP425; 07-16-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12