Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Loading a Mag to Capacity Question

I like my SIG P220, and like carrying it OWB. However, I have 7-round and 8-round mags for it, which leads me to my question: Should I load all mags to full capacity, or only load to 7 rounds in all mags?

My primary concern is consistency. I've been working on counting rounds as I use them (although I do realize there may be other factors that I might be focusing on if I found myself in a self-defense situation), so if all mags are loaded to the same capacity, there should be no surprises if the need every arose to use them, e.g., expecting another round but getting slide-lock instead. My answer to my question is, load the mags to 7-rounds.

What do think?

I am a Forum User
    I'd be packing every round I could fit into any mag I'd bother carrying as long as it didn't impede the gun's function. I think that the idea of counting rounds to know the weapon's status isn't bad in theory, but at least for me it'd end up being a rough guestimate at best anyway if I ever needed to under stress. If I thought I was anywhere close to being low, had a lull to do so, and hadn't already hit slide lock, I'd drop what's left for a new mag anyway. I agree with you about other factors to focus on in a self defense situation. And just about all of them are of greater importance to me than trying to use my limited processing power toward counting the rounds as I shoot them.

MGO Board of Directors

For self defense training, don't count rounds...practice with mags loaded at various levels and train to recognize an empty mag and fast swap out.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Load to capacity and refill when necessary.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Every time you shoot count the round... Do it every time... Make it second nature... Then, should you have additional magazines, learn to drop the magazine when you think you're getting close, (keep it if you can unless you know it's empty), and move on to the next magazine.

Yes, there's contradictions in there... But there is practical sense in there too...

sell the 7s get only 8s and then do not worry about it.

I love 45s love sigs, but the 220 needs all teh ammo capacity it can get, so get that extra round, and load them all to 8.

MGO Board of Directors

"Dang it bad guy…you made me lose count….was that 8 or 9???"

"Pretty sure it was 5…you should have plenty left!"

If anyone thinks they will be counting rounds in a self-defense shooting…you'd better rethink that now.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    "Dang it bad guy…you made me lose count….was that 8 or 9???"

"Pretty sure it was 5…you should have plenty left!"

If anyone thinks they will be counting rounds in a self-defense shooting…you'd better rethink that now.
    100% agree. We did the simulator at Close Quarters Tactical and I don't even remember looking down my sights.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    For self defense training, don't count rounds...practice with mags loaded at various levels and train to recognize an empty mag and fast swap out.
    This.

KISS makes your brain able to process things faster. Counting rounds isn't keeping it simple, stupid...

The gun talks to you when it's empty. Learn to listen to your gun.

Full capacity. Downloading makes zero sense to me(training aside...I typically load random amounts in training mags). Downloading for reliability means you need a more reliable magazine/platform instead if capacity is a functional worry/issue.
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 06-12-2018 at 09:54 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Load them all to capacity. If you're ever in a situation where you can actually count the rounds and you hit 7, swap your mag if you can. Worst case scenario is there is still one in the barrel if you had the 8 rounder in it. I don't see much of a problem with that other than not taking an available shot and stopping to reload when you could have ended the situation. I think the reality of it is you'll be pulling the trigger until your slide stops or you will not count but have an opportunity to be in cover in swap a mag knowing that you expended a good amount of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast