Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post

If anyone thinks they will be counting rounds in a self-defense shooting…you'd better rethink that now.
    I love the guys who say "I alternate between hollowpoints and FMJ that way if they're behind a barrier I can hit them".
    As if you're going to remember what's in the chamber after a firing a couple shots

I am a Forum User
    "Did he fire six shots or only five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, i kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?"

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    I love the guys who say "I alternate between hollowpoints and FMJ that way if they're behind a barrier I can hit them".
    As if you're going to remember what's in the chamber after a firing a couple shots
    With new barrier blind HP's hitting the market, like Federal HST's, why even bother?

Banned
    I have +1 in the G19, with 14 in the reload.
    It's easier to load the mag on a closed slide.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterspirit View Post
    I have +1 in the G19, with 14 in the reload.
    It's easier to load the mag on a closed slide.
    I've never had an issue loading a full mag in any of my 19's with a closed slide.

That being said, when is the last time your Glock 19 failed to lock back while shooting at the range? 99.9999% chance in an SD shooting IF you had to reload (Most shootings are over in..2-4 rounds I think it was?) your slide would be locked open during the reload.

My LCP is a bit rough to load a mag with the slide closed because I use MagGuts which give me +1 with no baseplate change or extra bulk, but I've trained myself to slam the little thing in naturally and I don't really pay attention anymore. Either way, if I'm still in danger after firing the 8 rounds of .380 in the first place I probably have other issues to worry ahout.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by somecrazygreek View Post
    I've never had an issue loading a full mag in any of my 19's with a closed slide.

That being said, when is the last time your Glock 19 failed to lock back while shooting at the range? 99.9999% chance in an SD shooting IF you had to reload (Most shootings are over in..2-4 rounds I think it was?) your slide would be locked open during the reload.

My LCP is a bit rough to load a mag with the slide closed because I use MagGuts which give me +1 with no baseplate change or extra bulk, but I've trained myself to slam the little thing in naturally and I don't really pay attention anymore. Either way, if I'm still in danger after firing the 8 rounds of .380 in the first place I probably have other issues to worry ahout.
    It seems like my glocks rarely lock back.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by somecrazygreek View Post

You should reload when you are done shooting (threat is dead,down,gone ) or when there is a lull in the action so how your gun takes a in battery reload is a valid concern

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    You should reload when you are done shooting (threat is dead,down,gone ) or when there is a lull in the action......
    This is how I was taught and continue to train. I carry a G19 with the standard 15 round mag. My secondary mag is a 17 round. I carry the 15 round because it conceals a little easier than the 17 rounder. (I know not much difference, but it’s why I carry a G19). Reload as stated above so that I’m always ready.

To the original question, I suggest carry with a 8 round mag and have 1 or 2 backup mags. Reload as necessary - based on the strategy quoted above. That gives you 9 (8+1) + 7 + 7 = 23 rounds or 2 reloads in case of malfunctions. That should be plenty for any civilian situation.

Quote Originally Posted by METL View Post
    It seems like my glocks rarely lock back.
    Sounds like you ride the slide lock then. Try riding your right thumb a bit wider.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12