Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Choosing the Right Holster - Holsters 101

For additional information on purchasing holsters check out this video on our YouTube channel; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA80VQ3ijjA.

Here are some basics on choosing the proper holster for your gun. Shooters Service in Livonia, MI has a large selection of holsters to fit your needs. If you’re in the area stop in at 29465 6 Mile, Livonia, MI or give us a call at 734.525.1130. You can also contact us on our website at; https://shootersservice.com/contact-us/

1. Determine placement of the holster;

• Belt Loop Holster can be concealed under a long shirt or jacket.

• In-the-Waistband Holster can be comfortably positioned on a belt or over your waistband.

• Pocket Holster good for smaller caliber firearms allowing a more casual look when carrying.

• Shoulder Holster great for larger caliber firearms allowing the weight of the gun to be distributed for a more comfortable carry.

• Fanny Pack great for disguising your firearm while providing additional protection against the elements.

• Ankle Holster provides concealment when it’s difficult to conceal your gun on your waist or in a pocket.

2. Choose a holster that fits you and your firearm properly;

• The gun must not fit too tight or too loose in the holster, the grip should be accessible and not too low in the holster.

• The holster must be comfortable with easy access to your firearm.

• Belt Loop and In-the-Waistband holsters must have the proper cant for easy draw of your gun.

• Pocket Holsters must allow for easy access to your gun while staying firmly in your pocket.

• Shoulder Holsters, Fanny Packs and Ankle Holster must be properly adjusted for a comfortable fit.

3. Choose the type of material right for the job;

• Leather Holsters are durable and long-lasting but can be a pricey.

• Synthetic or Kydex (plastic-type) holsters are lightweight and molded to the gun.

• Leather/Synthetic holsters utilize the best qualities of leather and synthetic holsters but can be a bit uncomfortable.

• Nylon Holsters are typically the last choice of holster unless they are a hybrid-type which combines nylon with another material such as Kydex for gun retention.

Last edited by RLittle; 07-27-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Interesting checklist for holster selection - something that many of us can use.

But, given the opening paragraph, shouldn't this be in the Commercial Dealer's section?

Banned
    I think more people can use this info in this forum . OP is not selling anything, just offering info that may save someone from buying $500 in holsters.

No mention of paddle holsters?
    Versatile placement.You can adjust placement a little as needed
    Easy on and off. I take my holster and gun off for storage when going into work. (no weapons allowed)
    Join MGO Date 07-25-2007
    AMAC Member

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by JLHOG View Post
    No mention of paddle holsters?
    Versatile placement.You can adjust placement a little as needed
    Easy on and off. I take my holster and gun off for storage when going into work. (no weapons allowed)
    can be easily done with a holster that has clips around/over/under the belt. as an added bonus, the clips may not be as prone to breaking as some paddle holsters are.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    can be easily done with a holster that has clips around/over/under the belt. as an added bonus, the clips may not be as prone to breaking as some paddle holsters are.
    I have been using paddle holsters for 10 years. Not one has broke. I must be a lucky guy..........
    Join MGO Date 07-25-2007
    AMAC Member

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JLHOG View Post
    I have been using paddle holsters for 10 years. Not one has broke. I must be a lucky guy..........
    I would be interested in which ones.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by red442joe View Post
    I would be interested in which ones.

Joe
    All the ones you did not try....
    Join MGO Date 07-25-2007
    AMAC Member

I will admit a paddle holster I had with a GCODE paddle, started to feel weak and I replaced it with a different paddle for a lot less than a new holster. But nothing ever BROKE.
    Join MGO Date 07-25-2007
    AMAC Member

Not mentioning Paddle holsters was a slip especially since we sell them from many different manufacturers! Our intention in this post was to provide basic info on the different types of holsters and what might be right for you... Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast