Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Supreme Court Strikes Down Law that Targeted Gun Owners’ Speech

Several years ago,while I was in line to vote,I had a poll worker tell me I had to remove my NRA-ILA hat because of its political implications.I told her that wasn't going to happen until the guy behind me removed his UAW hat.
    ...The hat stayed on my head.

Supreme Court Strikes Down Law that Targeted Gun Owners’ Speech

NRA-ILA
    June 15th. 2018

The Supreme Court struck down a Minnesota law that forbade voters from wearing “political insignias” at polling places after the law was challenged by a voter who was told he must remove or cover his Tea Party shirt.

It is beyond a doubt that the state's application of the law unfairly discriminated against the free speech of NRA members. The lawyer for the state himself told the court that, under the law, a shirt with the slogan “Parkland Strong” would be permissible, while an NRA shirt would not. Ironically, while a shirt displaying the text of the First Amendment would be allowed, a Second Amendment shirt, which “could be viewed as political” would not.

The Supreme Court was right to conclude that the vague standards set by the Minnesota law violated the right to free speech. Since a polling place is considered a public forum, government restrictions on speech may not discriminate based on speakers viewpoints. Clearly, Minnesota’s interpretation of what constituted forbidden “political insignias” was biased against the viewpoint of gun rights advocates.

This case evidences, once again, the entwined nature of the First and Second Amendments. Without the First Amendment, we cannot advocate our support for the Second. As NRA members know, without the Right to Keep and Bear Arms the Right to Free Speech falls at the mercy of the whims of the government. It is ridiculous to assert, as the State of Minnesota did, that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is somehow “more political” than our other constitutional rights.

We applaud the Supreme Court’s decision not to allow the State of Minnesota to shut down the expression of certain viewpoints, while allowing those they find favorable, under the guise of creating an apolitical space. NRA members, and all freedom-loving Americans, must continue to stand up to any government official or law that seeks to silence us based on our outspoken support of the Second Amendment.

I am a Forum User
    Could this be extended to wearing specific candidate apparel?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
    Could this be extended to wearing specific candidate apparel?
    Currently there is a 100 foot radius from the polling place that restricts campaigning. Wearing a candidates apparel would fall under this restriction.

My open carry of a pistol is just as much a political statement as is an NRA shirt.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    My open carry of a pistol is just as much a political statement as is an NRA shirt.
    IS it? Open carry is a right, NRA does political advertising..

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash-hider View Post
    Currently there is a 100 foot radius from the polling place that restricts campaigning. Wearing a candidates apparel would fall under this restriction.
    but does the SCOTUS decision make that illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by just another truck View Post
    Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Wearing an NRA shirt carries the message the wearer supports the right to keep and bear arms through support of the NRA.

Wearing a gun in plain sight carries the message the wearer supports the right to keep and bear arms.

Both are political statements.

Granted most of the time my primary reason for open carry isn't presenting a political message but is still one of my reasons yet there are other times, like attending council meetings to get anti gun ordinances changed and yes.... when I vote, that open carry to present a political message most certainly IS my primary reason.

I am a Forum User
    I will know more when I attend my election worker certification class next month.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by just another truck View Post
    Not all of the NRA is political. There are different groups that do different things.

I am a Forum User
    Insofar as what YOU choose to wear, I believe it would. This would have to be challenged in Michigan first.

I believe the restriction on OFFICIAL campaign speech (people working for the campaign, or posting signs for the campaign) would probably withstand muster. But individuals just present in order to vote should be able to wear whatever they want, so long as the speech is otherwise protected by the first amendment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast