Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

Are Binary triggers legal in Michigan?

I have been wanting to get a Franklin Armory binary trigger for a while now. They look like a fun range toy assuming you have a big berm/backstop, however, I have not been able to get a solid answer on their legal status in MI. I know the fire on pull fire on release has been approved by ATF going back as far as the 80s based on one shot per "function" of the trigger which is also word for word in MCL 750.224.
    Last edited by Gator22; 07-25-2018 at 04:16 PM.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterspirit View Post
    This is about bump stocks, how does this answer the OPs question.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Parker View Post
    This is about bump stocks, how does this answer the OPs question.
    read about function of trigger

Changing definition from one round fired per function of trigger , to a single pull of trigger

Since binary triggers fire on a pull and when released it's 2 functions
    but 2 rounds are still fired by one pull of trigger

From page 21
    Specifically,
    the Department
    proposes to
    amend 27 CFR 479.11 by defining the term
    “single function of the
    trigger” to mean “single pull of the trigger.”
    The Department
    further proposes to amend these regulations by defining the term “automatically” to mean

as the result of a self
    -
    acting
    or self
    -
    regulating
    mechanism that
    allows the firing of
    multiple rounds
    through a single pull of the trigger.”
    Last edited by hunterspirit; 06-16-2018 at 02:07 PM.

I am fully aware of the attached federal "proposed" reinterpretation, however, with the current federal approval standing I am interested in focusing on local Michigan legislation interpretation.

Seems like you could have asked this in the Legal Beagle forum instead.
    Formerly Known As RevDerb since 2008 with 9,457 posts.
    VietNam era vet (USN - CTT2, USNR - CTT3), NRA Life Member, NRA Certified RSO, SAF, GOA.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    http://revderb.blogspot.com John 5:24 <><

I find it ironic that there has not been more feedback here specific to the state, not federal, legality here specific to Michigan, however, an advertisement banner for a Fostech Echo AR-II binary trigger is currently listed at the top of this thread! Perhaps someone from Fostech could chime in on the legality of their product in Michigan? I sure would appreciate a definative answer as a prospective customer in Michigan.
    Last edited by Gator22; 07-25-2018 at 04:17 PM.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Gator22 View Post
    I find it ironic that there has not been more feedback here specific to the state,
    Why don't you simply ask them and then report back to us what you've learned?

sales@fostech.us
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

The response from Fostech was very similar to what I got from Franklin. "The best advice I can give you is to contact your local law enforcement and DOJ.* We cannot keep track of all the state legislatures." They did note verbally that fire on pull/fire on release triggers have been approved going back many years. This is also documented clearly in the approval letters posted on the Fostech website. With Michigan MCL 750.224 wording the same as the federal statute it would appear binary triggers are good to go in Michigan as reported by both Franklin and Fostech. I have always felt strongly that its always good to do a deep dive to ensure staying in compliance. Disclaimer: These are simply my interpretations on my personal research into this matter and are by no means any form of legal advice.
    Last edited by Gator22; 07-25-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Any word on if these types of triggers will be banned along with the Bump / Slide stocks?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast