Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

What would you look for if you were buying an M1 Carbine?

I have a friend that is looking at a few that are available at Cabelas. I think they are kind of high on price. There are a few Inland and one Winchester. If you were going to pick one up, what would you look for ?
    No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

I am a Forum User
    deleted
    Last edited by ltdave; 06-29-2018 at 04:33 PM. Reason: because i cant read!!!

Lot of info on the web, Check it out - a couple attached below

M1 Carbine GM Went to War
    M1 Carbine Manual

Having an original Carbine with supporting documentation is a plus..

I am a Forum User
    DOH!!!

my bad. i must have been THINKING Garand when i replied. sorry about all that...

i dont know why i didnt see Carbine...

disregard my post!

I am a Forum User
    Depends on what he/she is looking for and how much to spend. Should be able to get a decent one for 850-900. I like war era carbines and not so much the commercial ones. Although I have a Springfield Armory carbine that is pretty well built.

Again, depends on what they are looking for.

I am a Forum User
    1) matching serial numbers
    2) matching manufacturer
    3) barrel bore condition
    4) bolt condition and irregular receiver wear
    Research like hell, some are post war, some are parts guns assembled at arms depots from bins of different parts, Some are made recently from surplus and crappy modern aftermarket prices. Buyer beware.

If the store does not let you take it apart...run do not walk away. take off the wood and look for rust and mismatched parts (often different finishes).

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by elwarpo View Post
    1) matching serial numbers
    2) matching manufacturer
    3) barrel bore condition
    4) bolt condition and irregular receiver wear
    Research like hell, some are post war, some are parts guns assembled at arms depots from bins of different parts, Some are made recently from surplus and crappy modern aftermarket prices. Buyer beware.

If the store does not let you take it apart...run do not walk away. take off the wood and look for rust and mismatched parts (often different finishes).
    1) only the receiver has a serial number
    2) all carbine manufacturers used parts from other contractors so virtually non-existent rifles with only one manufacturer
    3)
    4)

no carbines were made post WWII. virtually every M1 carbine out there is a "parts guns assembled at arms depots from bins of different parts" Rock Island has started making commercial receivers and assembling USGI parts on them and they are good guns and while ive not seen any on the shelves, i hear they are reasonably priced especially since they are forged receivers...