Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Refinishing an old shotgun

So my dad gave my son an old savage shotgun this weekend that looks like he had just dug it up in the yard. We tore it down and figured out what parts it needed (trigger springs and extractor).

He spent hours getting the rust off and getting the gun down to bare metal, It’s in pretty good shape considering where it started, (some small pitting all over but light) he now wants to blue it and refinish the stock and give it back to gpa.

I have never blued a gun and am unsure where to begin but I think it would mean more to Gpa if he does it all himself instead of taking it to a gunsmith. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Marketplace Moderator
    The bluing kits available to you are of poor quality. If it has to be blue, take it to a professional. I did it before. No quality. I would go to Williams Gunsight in Davison if it were me. Other options are Ceracote or other sprayed snd baked finishes. But the blue us the best looking. Coatings are a cheap way to go. As far as the wood, you could do that yourself. Do a Google search for a hand rubbed linseed oil finish. It is not that hard and is very beautiful and holds up really well. Watch a couple of videos on the wood finish technique. Something to be proud of when you are finished.
    Good Luck, MOOSE

i think you need to make sure you have every bit of rust off the gun or its not going to take.

I am a Forum User
    It is clean, used rust and blue remover and it came out about as well as could be expected for the condition it was in.

I was gonna take some before pics but he was way quicker with getting on cleaning it up than I was with the camera.

Took 30 min to dig the mud dobber **** out of it

MGO Board of Directors

MidwayUSA's video library is your friend.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/video

Note that there are a few videos detailing various ways to blue/finish gun metal--some harder than others.
    Don't skip over the videos explaining how to POLISH the metal for refinishing.

There are also instructional videos on the subject of stock refinishing.
    I love these videos and have watched most, if not all, and many i have watched many times.

I've--successfully--tackled several projects after watching these helpful and entertaining videos.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you sir, I will check them out.

Anyone ever try Nitreblue salts or similar product? Seems a bit pricey but as many project guns and I pick up might be worth it over time, any thoughts?