Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stoeger Longfowler or Uplander

I'm looking to get a proper birding shotgun, hopefully [finances permitting] for this waterfowl season. I really like the looks of classic SxS shotguns but must admit I appreciate modern amenities as well. The Uplander having dual triggers as well as the 3in chambers and swappable chokes really appeals to me, or the Longfowler having 30in barrels though only one trigger.

Sadly neither Stoeger has ejectors, my only complaint about them. I'm wondering if a somewhat new shooter would be better served by the longer barrels or by having the ability to select between two different chokes with the two triggers in case I say need to shoot near birds first and thus would want the more open choke?

I also wonder if there is a competitor to Stoeger that makes a similar gun with threaded chokes, 3in chambers, 30in barrels and/or dual triggers, AND ejectors instead of extractors?

I'm HOPING to mostly hunt geese and maybe move into pheasants as well as a separate deal, but I've been dejected at Pointe Mouillee plenty of times having not seen a goose and taken a duck or two that passed by. Don't know if that matters but I figured I'd say what I plan to use it on. I bought my mum a Winchester SXP to hunt with me with and it's alright but I think I'd rather have a SxS if I'm going to learn a whole new manual of arms.

I thank you in advance for your advice.

MGO Member
    I have a stoeger SxS coach gun with dual triggers I use for cowboy action shooting, and a Browning Citori OU I use for birds. Night and day difference in the two shotguns. Besides fit and finish, the Stoegers metallurgy is not as good as the Browning. Opening lever starts sticking after a lot of shooting.

Does the single trigger Stoeger not allow you to select which barrel fires first?

CZ has SxS shotguns with single trigger, screw in choke tubes, and selectable fire.

Quote Originally Posted by j-squared View Post
    I have a stoeger SxS coach gun with dual triggers I use for cowboy action shooting, and a Browning Citori OU I use for birds. Night and day difference in the two shotguns. Besides fit and finish, the Stoegers metallurgy is not as good as the Browning. Opening lever starts sticking after a lot of shooting.

Does the single trigger Stoeger not allow you to select which barrel fires first?

CZ has SxS shotguns with single trigger, screw in choke tubes, and selectable fire.
    It might, if so then I might just go with the Uplander.

Aren't the CZs made in Turkey? I'm not hyper-keen on giving money to Mr. Watermelon Merchant so the Stoegers being made in Brazil were a relief to me. To the CZs have ejectors or just extractors like the Stoeger?

I am a Forum User
    The CZ's are made in Turkey by Huglu, I believe. In the past, their quality was hit or miss. I'm not sure how it is currently. Take a look at Ugartechea. They are more upland guns, but you may find a model to suit your purpose. There are usually some used ones on GB for reasonable prices. I carry a 20 ga with 26 in barrels as my grouse gun and love it. You can also find SKB's used that are a really good value.

No offense, but it doesn't sound like you have much experience and are going by something you've read.

Here's my opinion on the subject...

Ejectors over extractors? I don't like searching for my empties so I prefer extractors. I also don't shoot with a thick glove on my right hand so it's a non issue.

Switching barrels or thinking about what trigger you are going to use when that duck is coming in or that pheasant flushes at your feet is a lot more complicated than you think...

If you're stuck on an O/U or SxS, I'd go with screw in chokes, put an imp cyl in your first barrel and a mod in your second. I'd stick with a single trigger. Selectable barrel is nice, but you'll probably never use it.

Fit and finish... Stoeger and CZ's fit and finish has gone downhill, CZ is a better quality IMO. One kid on my shooting team had issues with his Stoeger, they finally replaced it, within a week of getting the new gun the forearm stock screws snapped off.

If you want a great all around gun, I'd save your pennies and get a semi auto... probably the SX3.

Myself, I like different guns for different sports.
    Duck / geese - 870 12ga... because it works no matter how bad it is abused.
    Upland - Citori - 20ga
    Rabbit - an old Savage / Fox SxS 20ga
    Skeet / Trap / Sporting - Beretta 686

I had my Stoeger Condor Supreme 20ga cut down so my son could shoot skeet and sporting with it... it's an older one (20 years), I've never had any quality issues that people see with the Stoegers now.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post

Myself, I like different guns for different sports.
    Duck / geese - 870 12ga... because it works no matter how bad it is abused.
    Upland - Citori - 20ga
    Rabbit - an old Savage / Fox SxS 20ga
    Skeet / Trap / Sporting - Beretta 686
    If that was all there was to your post, I thought I wrote that. Only difference is my rabbit guns 20 gauge 870 s
    wing master standard frame from the 70s. All the others are exactly what I shoot and how I use them.

I agree on the semi automatic it's probably the best all-around option, but I have a higher percentage of kills to shots with a pump or double.

I say definitely ejectors. I've been in the blind on the days when the birds kept coming, I've hunted doves when they were coming in Fast and Furious, and I've hunted pheasants when the shooting had been fast paced. When those things are happening, you need to be able to feed a double as quick as possible. You can always put your hand over the back of the hulls to catch them before they clear the gun when the pace is slow. 30 inch barrels for anything but upland birds in heavy cover. The balance tends to be just about right on most shotguns and the length overall is often a hair short than a pump or semi-auto with 28 inch barrel. Screw in chokes are a must for me when going between lead and steel. The choke combination is very different between the two shot metals and the size of the birds. I've often found that the choke I really want particular it was steel Falls between the standard improved, modified, and full. Those in between chokes are often ideal for pear quality , so having the ability to change out your chokes is very desirable. Then there's turkey hunting maybe and the need for an even tighter than full choke. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer selectable barrels, and I use it and have used it often. I don't find it too difficult with decoying birds to decide whether or not the shots going to be closed up or a little bit longer. I also don't find it difficult to make a barrel selection if a pheasant flushes far out especially if somebody else is getting the initial shot at it. I can switch to my tighter choke as they're taking their shot and then follow up.

I generally recommend that people save up a little bit more and just buy a decent quality double. Reasonable deals pop up on Browning and some of the base model Berettas. Unless you trash it, the guns going to likely go up in value over time. I made a fair amount of money selling off my extra doubles. Generally lost a little bit of money and all the semi-autos and cheaper shotguns.

I am a Forum User
    I would personally never buy a side by side. I have never shot one but have never seen anyone actually use one ever. It's always o/u's if a double barrel in my experience and after all the SXS just don't look as good.
    For mainly a hunting application I wouldn't hesitate going after one of the Turkish guns. Maybe if you were shooting 100's of rounds a week through it on clay games I would worry more about longevity but not so much hunting. I have no idea what stoegers warranty is but tri star has a 5 year warranty and they have some sweet looking guns.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by trucker3573 View Post
    I would personally never buy a side by side. I have never shot one but have never seen anyone actually use one ever. It's always o/u's if a double barrel in my experience and after all the SXS just don't look as good.
    You have never shot one, so you conclude that you would never buy one. I would suggest that you do in fact try one, even if you like the appearance of the O/U over the SxS. Just keep in mind, "pretty is as pretty does".

As far as having never seen anyone ever use one, my club has an annual "SxS shoot" that attracts all sorts of people from Michigan and the surrounding States. These guys get together to talk and SHOOT everything SxS! And there are some gorgeous guns show up. They already had this years' event, they sometimes have a second one in August.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    You have never shot one, so you conclude that you would never buy one. I would suggest that you do in fact try one, even if you like the appearance of the O/U over the SxS. Just keep in mind, "pretty is as pretty does".

As far as having never seen anyone ever use one, my club has an annual "SxS shoot" that attracts all sorts of people from Michigan and the surrounding States. These guys get together to talk and SHOOT everything SxS! And there are some gorgeous guns show up. They already had this years' event, they sometimes have a second one in August.
    Yes would never buy one without shooting it. Of course if you have an annual event they are going to show up. I shoot numerous clubs for trap/skeet/5 stand and have yet to see one that is all. Much less popular so they don't interest me. Just offering that to the op that the O/U configuration is much more popular.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think SxS shotguns look really nice, the way the barrels curve out to the chambers reminds me of a nice pair of gams, O/U just look like a pump or semi-auto. Plus the SxS is so definitively "American". If I find I don't like the SxS any more than I liked my mum's pump I'll probably try a semi-auto [if I have the money I'd love an SBE III] but I at least want to see if I can learn my way around a double-barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast