Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Winchester Model 43 .22 hornet value year help needed.

Hey gang I picked up a Winchester model 43 .22 hornet yesterday and can’t find any thing on the web about tmyear other then they didn’t make them for to long. SN is on left side of rifle. And is #13733 Any ideas on a place to start? Thanks

Made in 1949.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks Red. Can’t wait to get this little lady out in th woods and put a few bucks thru her.

If you plan on shooting this rifle much the lighter bullet weights may show better accuracy then the heavies. I would stay with 45gr or lighter due to the slow twist rate usually found in older rifles. Bores in older rifles were claimed by more then a few sources to be .223" instead of .224". This is not a problem with modern .224" jacketed ammo but accuracy can suffer. If you are going to reload for this cartridge Ken Waters "Pet Loads" has a good write up and a lot of data. I would get it and read the article he wrote on it for a better understanding of the old round.

Enjoy!!
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    How about a picture?

I am a Forum User
    Don't know how to post pics
    Last edited by Ely; 07-19-2018 at 09:17 AM.

I am a Forum User
    I have the same rifle in .218 Bee, great little rifles. One of my dads favorite rifles from his early days, those early days and the old man are long gone.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    If you plan on shooting this rifle much the lighter bullet weights may show better accuracy then the heavies. I would stay with 45gr or lighter due to the slow twist rate usually found in older rifles. Bores in older rifles were claimed by more then a few sources to be .223" instead of .224". This is not a problem with modern .224" jacketed ammo but accuracy can suffer. If you are going to reload for this cartridge Ken Waters "Pet Loads" has a good write up and a lot of data. I would get it and read the article he wrote on it for a better understanding of the old round.

Enjoy!!
    Thanks for the advice!