Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Tapping a shotgun barrel for chokes

It's not really a DIY question, but can anyone recommend a place (or person) that can tap a shotgun barrel for threaded chokes. I have an old Wards Westernfield semi auto that has a modified choke barrel. My neighbor suggested that I see if I can get it tapped so that I can put in different chokes. I know some may say it's not worth it on an old inexpensive gun, but it's still cheaper than buying a new gun with multiple chokes. My neighbor gave me the name of guy that has worked on his shotguns, but when I called him he said he does everything but what I am looking for. I am in Macomb county and work in Troy so if there is anyone in that vicinity, that would be preferred. Thanks.

I am a Forum User
    Call American Arms Engineering. Thery're on 27 mile. I'm not certain they do it, but they've worked on one of my shotguns. I think his username here is Blackwater_na.

I am a Forum User
    Williams gun site . $100 for tru -choke

depends many of the wards, western auto, jc penny, glennfield, higgins etc were good guns made by remington, winchester, marlin etc.

What model is it based on, it likely has cheap wood but the same internals as the winchester, savage, remington its based on.

I dont have a guy, but if its a good gun, its cool to keep it going and keep using it.

I am a Forum User
    Looks like Williams is the closest place. American Arms said they didn't do it. I had also called around to a few other places. Seems that the tooling is expensive which is why no one does it.

@dirtmcgirt
    It is a decent gun for the money. If I ever stumble upon another, I would pick it up in heartbeat. From the research I did, it seems likely to be a Remington 878 autoloader. I've looked online, and they don't seem to show up often. A couple of the Wards models I had found sold for around $120-$150. For that price, it's a great gun to have incase I shoot with someone that doesn't have their own shotgun.

Thanks for the help guys.

MGO Member
    You can rent the tooling for a week & do several. for about $60.
    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

I am a Forum User
    I always recommend Rose Action Sports, and Buhler Ballistics (Taylor Pickerell). Have to ship, but they are stand up companies.

I am a Forum User
    I had a slug barrel for my Remington 1100 tapped for chokes so as to use it for Turkey. Mike Orlen, a Moderator on Shotgunworld.com did the work. I had to ship the barrel to him in Massachusetts. That was several years ago, and the price then was $85 which included the threading, two chokes, and return postage. (I think I paid $15 to send it, so it came to around $100 total.) The chokes that I bought from him were an Improved cylinder, and a "card shoot" choke bored to .665. It makes an effective Turkey gun, relatively short barrel is nice in a blind, and the rifle sights are TruGlow. But you just don't want the turkey to be too close when using that tight of a choke.

P.S. He had to use Colonial Arms thinwall chokes rather than Rem Chokes because the untapped factory barrels are thinner then the Rem Choke barrels. If I need additional chokes, I have to order Colonial Arms.
    Last edited by hd1.; 09-05-2018 at 10:39 AM.