Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fixing Warped 10/22 Stock

I have a 10/22 Carbine which came with Ruger's cheap birch stock. It sees pretty hard use and the stock has warped significantly around the receiver. The receiver sits flush against the stock on the left side, but there's a large gap on the right side - large enough that the rear cross pin and the buffer pin slide in and out partway when the rifle is canted side to side. There's also enough flex that, even with the takedown screw tight, the receiver can be easily pushed side to side with just a thumb, though it always returns to being flush on the left side.

I'd prefer not to buy a new stock if I don't have to, but this stock is cheap enough that I don't mind trying to fix it, even if I make it worse in the process.

Should I...

1. Shim it to make it flush on both sides? If so, shim the left side to force it right, or just shim the right side to fill in the gap?

2. Remove wood around the receiver so it can sit centered, and then add spacers to keep it centered?

3. Something else?

4. Turn it into firewood and buy a new stock?

Pictures can be found here (sorry they're not too clear): https://imgur.com/a/Nl9dpkl

Thanks!
    Last edited by Scandiacus; 07-23-2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Fixed typo that made me sound like a pirate

wood clamps and steam/humidity.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I'd glass bed the whole barreled action stem to stern, but then I'm not a gun smith and there may be a easier way.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    So apply clamps to hold the receiver where I want it, and then steam it?

I am a Forum User
    So many people replace their 10-22 stocks, you may consider posting a want to buy ad and see if someone would be willing to give to you for a nominal cost.

Quote Originally Posted by cmr19xx View Post
    So many people replace their 10-22 stocks, you may consider posting a want to buy ad and see if someone would be willing to give to you for a nominal cost.
    this.

Since its not worth a lot as a birch beat to hell, probably beech though, not birch. I would not spend a ton of effort to get it back to normal.

I would try to steam it, but you could if its just a fraction of an inch off center, mill it out a bit, and shim with a stainless spacer and some expoxy to fill the void.

If I could get a nice stock for under 50 bucks I would just do that.

MGO LIFE Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    May not be applicable as a stock isn’t a very large piece of wood, but I’ve learned (this past week actually) that on larger surface areas a hot garage and a spray bottle, that if you spray both sides and clamp down to a straight surface, one side will not breath adequately and it will warp away from that side as the suffocated side dries slower and is still swollen with water once the clamps are removed the dry side that contracted becomes the inside of the bow... after going back and forth with this several times my current run is using spacers to allow both sides to dry...

This may not be especially helpful in your case but it may be something to keep in mind when clamping down to anything you’re trying to straighten.

I am a Forum User
    Yeah,they are beech.not really worth the effort when you can buy a new stock of your choice.unless you have a lot of time on your hands.a tribute to Hephaestus may be in order.

I am a Forum User
    Burn it and Boyds thumbhole it or find someone who's throwing out a factory takeoff on the cheap. I paid $25 or $30 for the last one I bought. (from an MGO'r)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast