Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

.17hmr scope time

Havent been on much due to life and being busy. I always value the excellent scope advice I find here.

I recently purchased a t-bolt in .17hmr because I love my t-bolt in .22lr so much. I put the bushnell ar22 recommended in this thread on my .22: https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...le-needs-scope and I love it.

Now I need to scope my .17. Having used a BSA sweet .17 and a few other scopes on squirrel hunting rigs I feel 3-12 is the best compromise for the intended use. Also a 1" tube is mandatory as that is the only size rings available (as far as I know). I like the bushnell AR so much on the .22 I am steering heavily towards another one, specifically this one:https://www.midwayusa.com/product/20...-reticle-matte

However bushnell also makes a specific rimfire scope: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/24...-reticle-matte

I am concerned about the quality on the rimfire scope. I have used an economy bsa and another bushnell previously and wasnt overwhelmed, but they worked. I also have looked at the leupold rimfire scope and some others in the price range but I am concerned about the 2-7 and 3-9 power ranges not letting me really get in on a squirrel 50' up in a tree.

Thoughts, opinions, comments and other scope recommendations are all welcome. Thanks.

Not a bad scope for the money.
    https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...0-bdc-150.html

Keep in mind you do not have to stay with a "rimfire" model. Almost all the scopes I have on my rimfires are centerfire models. I look for a model that will focus down to 20 yds or so - A lot if not most centerfires scopes start at 50yds, but there are some good choices. The Vortex Crossfire ll 4x12x40 ao as example focuses down to 10 yds which makes it a good candidate as a rimefire scope. Some of the Weaver "Classic V" series scopes also do double duty. I have 2 rifles, a 22lr and a 17HMR with their V24 scope and am more then pleased with them. They focus down to 15yds, have very clear glass for the money, but are a bit pricy for a everyday rimfire though. The V16 might fit your needs. https://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-...yAAEgK3avD_BwE
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    I went with a Leupold 3-9X EFR on my Ruger 77/17. I Wish I would have went with more power,at least 4-12X or 4-16X.
    As long as you buy a scope with an adjustable objective (AO), you will be good to go. Newer scopes have a third turret and older styles, adjust at the front.

I am a Forum User
    The fixed paralax on the nikon concerns me. The v16 is amazing but a little pricey imho. I was also looking at hawke scopes with adjustable objectives. They claim 10yd-inifnity paralax adjustments. Reviews are few for the hawke scopes but almost all positive 4+ stars.

I am a Forum User
    Cabelas rimfire specific scopes are GTG

Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    Cabelas rimfire specific scopes are GTG
    are they all made by the same big name company ?

I have seen deals pop up a few times half off on them, I was tempted to buy but didn't.

I guess I am asking are they all bushnell, nikon etc or just runs the gamet of out sourcing.

I am a Forum User
    I'm also running the cabela's rimfire scope, Its definitely been rugged and holds zero quite well. I don't care for the eye relief. Then again I don't like the eye relief on my zeiss conquest either so maybe its just me

I am a Forum User
    Bought the bushnell 3-12x40 AO rimfire scope. I had such good luck with my other bushnells, thats what steered my decision. I'll report back after I get some shooting in.

Should be a great choice.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    I plan on trying out Simmons protarget rimfire model geared towards .17hmr

Still have the mossberg on layaway so it's not in hand yet... i'll post an update when it's mounted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast