Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Purchasing from private seller

Trying to help a friend who wants to buy a gun. He doesn’t have a CPL and wants to ensure he purchases legally. For his info and to educate me, what are the actual steps required for a non-CPL holder buyer and for a CPL holder?

thank you

It's easy really.

For a handgun:

Your friend just has to go to his local police station and ask for a Pistol Purchase permit. It requires fingerprints and a background check. Call ahead, as some require appointments, some accept walk ins. Some charge $5-$10, some are free. Usually takes about an hour for most places, and he has 10 days to complete his purchase and hand the paperwork back in to the same PD so they an register it.

For a rifles/shotguns:

No paperwork required. If the buyer and seller are both Michigan residents, your friend hands the seller money, and the seller hands him the firearm.

Side note: Not sure how old your friend is, but you can privately purchase handguns in Michigan at 18 with a local PD purchase permit.
    Canadian Import.
    μολὼν λαβέ, Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    Reddit: u/MapleSyrupJediV2 moderator of r/GunAccessoriesForSale & r/MiGuns

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by somecrazygreek View Post
    It's easy really.

For a handgun:

Your friend just has to go to his local police station and ask for a Pistol Purchase permit. It requires fingerprints and a background check. Call ahead, as some require appointments, some accept walk ins. Some charge $5-$10, some are free. Usually takes about an hour for most places, and he has 10 days to complete his purchase and hand the paperwork back in so they an register it.

For a rifles/shotguns:

No paperwork required. If the buyer and seller are both Michigan residents, your friend hands the seller money, and the seller hands him the firearm.
    I will add for a long gun, to make sure the buyer is 18 yrs. old or older.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallbear View Post
    I will add for a long gun, to make sure the buyer is 18 yrs. old or older.
    Yes! Good point, should have thrown that in there. I've done multiple deals with a really nice guy who's 23 but honestly looks like he's 14. Always gotta ID.
    Canadian Import.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by somecrazygreek View Post
    It's easy really.

For a handgun:

Your friend just has to go to his local police station and ask for a Pistol Purchase permit. It requires fingerprints and a background check. Call ahead, as some require appointments, some accept walk ins. Some charge $5-$10, some are free. Usually takes about an hour for most places, and he has 10 days to complete his purchase and hand the paperwork back in to the same PD so they an register it.

For a rifles/shotguns:

Side note: Not sure how old your friend is, but you can privately purchase handguns in Michigan at 18 with a local PD purchase permit.
    No fingerprints required and purchase permits are good for 30 days

Quote Originally Posted by Mi_Shooter View Post
    No fingerprints required and purchase permits are good for 30 days
    Really, has it changed?

It's been..6 years since I've had to get one, but Northville PD made me give fingerprints and told me 10 days for mine.
    Canadian Import.

I am a Forum User
    Ok, so non cpl, visit local pd, request purchase permit and they will do background. Permit good for 30 days.. correct?

For cpl holders.....RI60?

MGO Board of Directors

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    The last time I got a permit to purchase was 9 & 1/2 years ago from Eaton County and NO fingerprints were required. It took about 15 minutes and I paid $3 to notarize it. No different than a NICS background check at a gun store. This was right after the law changed from the fake safety inspection to the legally admitted gun registration.

I am a Forum User
    Perfect.

Thanks Tom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast